Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got my skills test coming up next week for numeracy and have a few questions.

1. What is the general (I know it isn't fixed) pass percentage? What did you guys get when you passed?

2. How long does it take to get the results back?

3. How many times can you retake? (I'm bricking it)

4. What resources did you guys use to study other than the 4 practise tests on the government site?

Any help you could give would be very appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think you can only take it 3 times, then you have to wait a year or 2 to take it again..... this is part of the reason that I am also bricking it!!

I’m currently working my way through 2 books which seem to be pretty good....

How to pass professional skills tests for ITT by Chris Tyreman, and How to pass The QTS Numeracy Skills Test, again by Chris Tyreman.

I found one in the library and bought the other for about £3 off eBay!

I’m also going to a free workshop at my local uni (even though I’m not doing my SCITT there), might be worth looking in to local to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oOLaurenOo)
    I think you can only take it 3 times, then you have to wait a year or 2 to take it again..... this is part of the reason that I am also bricking it!!

I’m currently working my way through 2 books which seem to be pretty good....

How to pass professional skills tests for ITT by Chris Tyreman, and How to pass The QTS Numeracy Skills Test, again by Chris Tyreman.

I found one in the library and bought the other for about £3 off eBay!

I’m also going to a free workshop at my local uni (even though I’m not doing my SCITT there), might be worth looking in to local to you?
    The government have scrapped the fixed retake amount. Now you can do it as many times as you need but after the third you have to pay. The two year ban also has been removed. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    1) I don't know if they give you a detailed breakdown of your marks, or at the least I certainly didn't get any. I just got a piece of paper saying I passed (and this is all the info that's available to me on the booking website as well). I have read that you need to get about 71% of the questions correct to pass but I don't know how true that is. That said, I think it's better to not worry about what the minimum target to pass is, that's the wrong mindset, far better to aim for getting every question right than worrying about how many you can afford to get wrong.

2) You get the results 5-10 mins after the test. It's all computerised so you leave the test room and then the organiser just prints the results off for you.

3) Three times for free and then any amount of times thereafter but for a fee.

4) The test itself isn't hard (the practice tests on the government website were far more difficult imho) but if you want to look at other resources, crack open any GCSE textbook/website and go over the basics would be my advice.

My other bit of advice would be to try and stay calm in the exam room as it's not some monstrous exam. To give you an idea of how tough the test is, without looking at anything other than a brief glance at the example questions on the gov website, I passed mine first attempt with no worries and I've not touched a maths book, indeed I've actively avoided doing so, since getting a grade C in Maths 14 years ago. If you let them, nerves will do you in much more than the actual test ever could.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.