Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just want some advice in relation to the LPC and training contracts.
    I'm in my second year of university studying Law. I just wanted some advice on what would be the better route to take; should I study the LPC full-time then pursue a training contract, or should I study the LPC part-time and work part-time?
    Also, in regards to vacation schemes, could I still apply for a vacation scheme in my final year of study during the winter or summer? I have completed 5 months of volunteering at my local CAB, and I am thinking about going back this summer (I have also secured a weeks placement at a local law firm where I live). Travelling to larger firms in cities where they do vacation schemes would be a bit too expensive right now as I do not have a car of my own yet, and travelling to university is costly enough. So I was wondering what firms around Wales take on third year students?
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by therealmlg)
    Hi, I just want some advice in relation to the LPC and training contracts.
    I'm in my second year of university studying Law. I just wanted some advice on what would be the better route to take; should I study the LPC full-time then pursue a training contract, or should I study the LPC part-time and work part-time?
    Also, in regards to vacation schemes, could I still apply for a vacation scheme in my final year of study during the winter or summer? I have completed 5 months of volunteering at my local CAB, and I am thinking about going back this summer (I have also secured a weeks placement at a local law firm where I live). Travelling to larger firms in cities where they do vacation schemes would be a bit too expensive right now as I do not have a car of my own yet, and travelling to university is costly enough. So I was wondering what firms around Wales take on third year students?
    Thanks
    1. Get a TC first and then get them to pay for the LPC.
    2. Check with the VS, some of them are only interested in second years or may prevent you from reapplying. Just check and if theres no bar then apply if you wish.
    3. Try for different sorts of experience. CAB is good, but you need more law firms imo.
    4. You get paid on vacation schemes. The better ones.
    5. Do some research look at Chambers directory and apply to all the ones that take on trainees plus ones which practice areas that interest you and you can get to.

ReputationRep:
    Tigger's advice is spot on.

I'd be trying to pursue a TC before you start the LPC. Many people are not successful in their first round of applications, so it might be a case of reviewing at a later stage and then signing up to the LPC of your own accord at a later date. But don't rush into the LPC just for the sake of it - thats where too many people go wrong.

Whether you choose to do the LPC full time or part-time is down to you though. I think there can be some benefits of building your CV up through part-time work, but it depends on what your profile looks like at that stage.

Also consider things like open days. Typically firms reimburse travel expenses for these, and so if there is a cost issue that comes into play, these could be good alternatives. As Tigger has suggested though, most vac schemes are paid - I'd personally avoid any that aren't.

Here is a list of firms advertising TCs on Lawcareers.net in Wales - https://www.lawcareers.net/Search?sc...=Wales&ci=&us=

Here is a list of firms advertising TCs on Lawcareers.net in the South West - https://www.lawcareers.net/Search?sc...h+West&ci=&us=

Bristol is a bit of a regional hub for law firms, so if you can commute to Bristol on the train, there will be plenty of opportunities there.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do at CAB?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.