IB English A Lit WIT

Watch this thread
annie711
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my Works in Translation essay, can I analyse alliteration and how words sound if it has been translated from the original text? I'm having trouble finding literary devices in Medea.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
You can discuss how the translators interpreted the original, and whether you think any alliteration and onomatopoeia present are a deliberate choice on the part of the translator. It may be useful in this context to compare different translations - see what each translator did, and if one has certain devices present, and if they were trying to emphasise some part of the text the other wasn't.

Additionally you could reference the original text, by considering the sounds/words used in the original Ancient Greek (I assume) - this shouldn't require a great deal of experience in the language but you'll at least want to familiarise yourself with the alphabet and basic sounds of it, and you may want to have a teacher help you with that aspect.

However you can't take any such structures on their face value in a translation - you have to consider the translators intent (or lack thereof).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (105)
68.63%
No (31)
20.26%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
11.11%

Watched Threads