Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how to pay bills watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am renting a new place with my mum. basically moving out from my relatives place. Now I've looked at a flat and the agent told me somethings that I did not understand.

"the gas and electricity is on a pre-payment card"

Really now, what does this mean? The provider is British gas but I'm not sure if this means pay as you go? how does this work?

He also told me to set up a house account for paying rent? not sure I understand this either. Is it a joint account?

HELP T^T

ReputationRep:
    the land Lord will give you a card or a chip stick and you have to go to a place that has a paypoint that's where you will pay for gas and electricity before you can use it. just remember to top it up or lights go out! sometimes there is a £5 emergency button that you can "borrow" until you can get to a shop. I used to pay bout £40 a month or something like that but that was just for electric. I'm not sure what they mean by house account if that means opening up an account just for rent or setting up a direct debit to pay rent.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have this too - as the previous poster said, you go to a shop, give the cashier your card/stick and say how much money you want to put on them. I do mine in Asda at the kiosk (where you would buy cigarettes) and they only take cash for them but don't know if that is the norm. Mine will go onto 'emergency' credit automatically if the credit runs out and then when you top up again, the emergency credit you've used goes out of the top-up automatically. So for example - if I use £4 of emergency credit and then top-up £10, my balance will be £6 because £4 will have been used to pay off the emergency. I also have a little smart meter which shows the balance for gas and electric in one place, and shows estimated number of days it will last. In my previous house with this system, the balance for each was shown on the gas/electric meters respectively and you physically put the cards into the meters once you'd bought the top-up, but in my current place once you've been to the shop you don't do anything with the cards and the balance adds automatically.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.