Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    need a bit of help with something.
    I recently changed my mind into studying medicine instead of nursing which means I don't have the right a levels.
    I'm taking biology and btec Health and social care.
    I'm aware I need chemistry a level therefore would like to do medicine with foundation year.
    All the foundation year courses seem to be asking for a chemistry and biology a level which is confusing.
    Isn't foundation year meant for students who don't have the sufficient a levels for medicine?
    Is there any other route into medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently applying for foundation year in health and life sciences before going on and doing an nursing degree. the foundation year has chemistry as a module. it's at Coventry uni
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    But that's different to the medicine foundation year which requires a chemistry a level? I don't understand

ReputationRep:
    Or do you mean that it's a foundation degree for one year, after which I can choose to study medicine?

ReputationRep:
    There are different types of foundation years. Some are aimed at students from disadvantaged backgrounds (e.g. Southampton), while others are aimed at those who did not take the right A-Levels (e.g. Cardiff). However, the latter often requires AAA in subjects other than chemistry so I am not sure how your BTEC will be taken. If you are interested, you can look further into them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    There are different types of foundation years. Some are aimed at students from disadvantaged backgrounds (e.g. Southampton), while others are aimed at those who did not take the right A-Levels (e.g. Cardiff). However, the latter often requires AAA in subjects other than chemistry so I am not sure how your BTEC will be taken. If you are interested, you can look further into them.
    Is it possible to do a foundation degree for 1 year (not integrated) and then 5 years for medicine? Is that an option. Will the degree be medicine specific or just any foundation degree for healthcare in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amiia2997)
    Is it possible to do a foundation degree for 1 year (not integrated) and then 5 years for medicine? Is that an option. Will the degree be medicine specific or just any foundation degree for healthcare in general?
    You should be able to, but you will need to be very careful when applying. Not all of these access or foundation (non-integrated) courses are recognised by every university, which can severely limit your application choices. Before committing to anything, you should do as much research as you can so that you are making an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to, but you will need to be very careful when applying. Not all of these access or foundation (non-integrated) courses are recognised by every university, which can severely limit your application choices. Before committing to anything, you should do as much research as you can so that you are making an informed decision.
    Thanks a lot for your help. So I guess it's just a matter of research. Do you know any universities that do either foundation degrees or integrated for students with the wrong A levels ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your help. So I guess it's just a matter of research. Do you know any universities that do either foundation degrees or integrated for students with the wrong A levels ?
    As I didn't take this route, I am not confident in giving you information that could be false. The only one I remember is the Cardiff one which I mentioned before. Try using this site as a spring board for your research: https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ation-courses/

ReputationRep:
    As I didn't take this route, I am not confident in giving you information that could be false. The only one I remember is the Cardiff one which I mentioned before. Try using this site as a spring board for your research: https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ation-courses/
    Thanks a lot for your help xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your help xx
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...l-schools.pdf\

You can find the entry requirements for each of the courses here. Page 53 has the medical schools which offer a 6 year course (with a foundation year) for people with the wrong A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...l-schools.pdf\

You can find the entry requirements for each of the courses here. Page 53 has the medical schools which offer a 6 year course (with a foundation year) for people with the wrong A-levels.
    Life saver !!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.