Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't go into work yesterday because I had another job interview and I didn't say anything to my work and now I haven't been sent the rota for next week and I've only been in this job for a month and they said that im not using my initiative but whenever I try and do stuff they wont let me I'm going in today what should I do? I'm a waitress in a hotel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherlloydfan)
    So I didn't go into work yesterday because I had another job interview and I didn't say anything to my work and now I haven't been sent the rota for next week and I've only been in this job for a month and they said that im not using my initiative but whenever I try and do stuff they wont let me I'm going in today what should I do? I'm a waitress in a hotel
    ???
    If I've read this right: Your a waitress who other employees don't really care about, they complain that you don't do much but you say you try and help as much as possible, and your looking for a new job and you haven't been given the timetable because of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDOZ)
    ???
    If I've read this right: Your a waitress who other employees don't really care about, they complain that you don't do much but you say you try and help as much as possible, and your looking for a new job and you haven't been given the timetable because of this?
    Yes well sometimes I do stand around if there's nothing to do but when I try and do stuff for events or behind the bar they just take over from me cos they think that I'm no good or they wanna do it and I've been looking for another job since I started cos I've got a degree in Computer science so I wanna do something with that

ReputationRep:
    Yes well sometimes I do stand around if there's nothing to do but when I try and do stuff for events or behind the bar they just take over from me cos they think that I'm no good or they wanna do it and I've been looking for another job since I started cos I've got a degree in Computer science so I wanna do something with that
    Prehaps if you've got nothing to do, you could do the "bar-tender" thing, where you stand behind the counter and "clean" things endlessly

ReputationRep:
    1. When you have only been in a job 1 month, a company can very easily get rid of you. It was reckless and stupid to skip a day of work without telling your employer.

2. When people say "Use your initiative", it means "If you find yourself standing around after completing a task/order don't just stand there doing nothing like a dummy waiting blindly until your manager/supervisor gets on your case. Instead, look around and do something useful (within the realm of your job description and expertise) or at least look and act professional (i.e. don't make idle chat chat with other staff etc)".

As a waitress, if there are no customers to wait on, things you could take initiative on would be ensuing that the tables and their arrangements look presentable as can be. If you work in retail, it means go and tidy any areas of shoes or clothes etc which need organizing. In fact, most of the whole "Use your initiative" thing boils down to thinking to yourself "What obviously next needs to be done- what would my supervisor likely tell me to do if they were here?".

If you can't figure out any answers to that question after a month on a job, then you haven't been paying attention enough.

3. Who knows if you're sacked. But what do you expect- for people to go chasing after you to keep you up to date on schedules after you don't bother to turn up to work (no reasons or warning provided)?

You might not much care for the job, but somebody you work with would have had to cover the work you decided not to do. This isn't school, and your poor work ethic will not endear you to any colleagues (but at this stage in your life you need good work references).

If you want to find out the status quo, phone your supervisor/manager.

4. (For the record), unless you have a very good reason for it, quitting a job after only a month or 2 looks bad on your CV. Employee's are an investment (taking time to train and build up trust in) but if you develop a track record for quitting when the going gets tough, future potential employers will quickly come to the conclusion that you're too undependable/immature to be worth bothering with. It costs employers a lot of money to employ people (having staff take the time out to do interviews and train people up etc).

ReputationRep:
    So what shall I say if they ask me why I didn't go in yesterday??

ReputationRep:
    So what shall I say if they ask me why I didn't go in yesterday??
    You should have thought about that before you took the day off.

ReputationRep:
    So it looks like I've still got my job cos they've sent me the rota for next week now I'm doing all the earlies now which I'm glad about

ReputationRep:
    Well that is something. But don't think that this transgression will have gone unnoticed (so make sure you work hard at the job and be prepared for any potential questions).

In terms of applying for new jobs, as a general rule "don't burn your bridges before you have crossed then". Jeopardizing a current existing job to go interview for a job you have no guarantee of getting, is daft. Work hard at this job for a while, and you can later use the good reference aquired from it to help you get a better job further down the line.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.