X-ray spectrum

Watch this thread
Al4stair
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Attachment 723802Hi. Please could someone explain the X-ray spectrum please? I have attached an example picture from my textbook. This might be completely wrong, but my understanding is that on the x-axis is the wavelength of the emitted X-rays which changes when the supply voltage in the tube is altered (my guess is that a higher voltage results in a smaller wavelength/higher frequency of the X-ray...?). And as you go further down the x-axis the wavelength of the X-ray increases, and so the frequency of the X-ray decreases. This means means the X-ray has less energy (E = hf) and therefore has a stronger intensity. The spikes (k-lines) and caused because at that point (amount of voltage...?) the bombarding electrons remove electrons atoms very close to the nucleus. So the gaps are quickly filled up by electrons on higher energy level going to lower energy levels. This burst in energy is emitted of X-ray of photons of specific wavelengths and so there is a burst in the intensity at this point.
All of this was just what I think happens and I expect it to be largely wrong. So please correct me if you can. Thanks.
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I've moved this to the Physics forum for you - hopefully someone here will be able to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (74)
41.81%
They're exactly what I expected (40)
22.6%