Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Attachment 723802Hi. Please could someone explain the X-ray spectrum please? I have attached an example picture from my textbook. This might be completely wrong, but my understanding is that on the x-axis is the wavelength of the emitted X-rays which changes when the supply voltage in the tube is altered (my guess is that a higher voltage results in a smaller wavelength/higher frequency of the X-ray...?). And as you go further down the x-axis the wavelength of the X-ray increases, and so the frequency of the X-ray decreases. This means means the X-ray has less energy (E = hf) and therefore has a stronger intensity. The spikes (k-lines) and caused because at that point (amount of voltage...?) the bombarding electrons remove electrons atoms very close to the nucleus. So the gaps are quickly filled up by electrons on higher energy level going to lower energy levels. This burst in energy is emitted of X-ray of photons of specific wavelengths and so there is a burst in the intensity at this point.
    All of this was just what I think happens and I expect it to be largely wrong. So please correct me if you can. Thanks.
    • TSR Community Team

TSR Community Team
    I've moved this to the Physics forum for you - hopefully someone here will be able to help
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.