Turn on thread page Beta

Unemployed and depress after 1 graduate position as ended watch

Hi Guy,

I just need some advice after graduating with a 2.2 in 2016, I manage to land an internship and following that a one year graduate position in a public sector organisation. The graduate position as ended about 3 months now, and over the course of the period I did a Christmas temp position but now I'm unemployment and struggling more than ever before.

I'm now on JSA (I'm extremely embarrassed about this) and I find myself slipping in a dark place and far worst off than when I barely had any experience. I am very lost and this has taken a toll on my health I have high blood pressure, tinnitus and mentally I don't want to talk about the things that I'm thinking.

When I was in my public sector role I wasn't really supported and furthermore there was funding cuts for staff so even if they wanted to take me on for a another role, lack of resource prevented the organisation from doing so. And I didn't even get an exit interview which was very odd.

Please I need some advice on how to get pass this and get into full employment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi what kind of area are you looking to go into? What kind of things did you do in the graduate role?

keep reminding yourself that 'this too shall pass' - its just a bad patch you - and most students - go through

do volenteer work, that will help a lot.

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Hi what kind of area are you looking to go into? What kind of things did you do in the graduate role?
    My graduate role was in local government. Because of this experience try to go from project management and commissioning roles within the sector.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    keep reminding yourself that 'this too shall pass' - its just a bad patch you - and most students - go through

do volenteer work, that will help a lot.

Thanks for you kind words. I know I remind myself all the time that this is short term, but sometimes I'm overwhelmed with emotions and now is very visible to my family. I'm actually considering volunteering remotely.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guy,

I just need some advice after graduating with a 2.2 in 2016, I manage to land an internship and following that a one year graduate position in a public sector organisation. The graduate position as ended about 3 months now, and over the course of the period I did a Christmas temp position but now I'm unemployment and struggling more than ever before.

I'm now on JSA (I'm extremely embarrassed about this) and I find myself slipping in a dark place and far worst off than when I barely had any experience. I am very lost and this has taken a toll on my health I have high blood pressure, tinnitus and mentally I don't want to talk about the things that I'm thinking.

When I was in my public sector role I wasn't really supported and furthermore there was funding cuts for staff so even if they wanted to take me on for a another role, lack of resource prevented the organisation from doing so. And I didn't even get an exit interview which was very odd.

Please I need some advice on how to get pass this and get into full employment.
    Since you've got public sector experience have you tried looking on the civil service jobs website, they have loads of roles available that could be suitable for you.

I know how you feel and hope you get through this.

Good Luck.

(Original post by e^x)
    Since you've got public sector experience have you tried looking on the civil service jobs website, they have loads of roles available that could be suitable for you.

I know how you feel and hope you get through this.

Good Luck.
    I was fortunate enough to finally get an interview however I didn't get the job. One of the interviewer was so rude to me it made me even wonder if I was truly a horrible person for her to speak to me like that.

I'm trying to keep the faith BUT I truly feel like this is it and I'm done giving a 100%.

ReputationRep:
    I was fortunate enough to finally get an interview however I didn't get the job. One of the interviewer was so rude to me it made me even wonder if I was truly a horrible person for her to speak to me like that.

I'm trying to keep the faith BUT I truly feel like this is it and I'm done giving a 100%.
    Don't let her attitude towards you make you think your not good enough. I've had an interview where one of the interviewers didnt seem interested in me and walked out the room making an excuse, leaving me with the other interviewer. That was in July 2017 and i didnt even receive a reply from that company after the interview.

You got to the interview stage which suggests you have the skills and attributes needed to be successful in that role, the civil service website has loads of jobs so keep on applying and dont let a couple of bad interview experiences make you think your not good enough.

You got this interview and it didnt go too well that doesn't mean the next interview will too so keep applying and learn from any failed interviews.

Good Luck.

(Original post by e^x)
    Don't let her attitude towards you make you think your not good enough. I've had an interview where one of the interviewers didnt seem interested in me and walked out the room making an excuse, leaving me with the other interviewer. That was in July 2017 and i didnt even receive a reply from that company after the interview.

You got to the interview stage which suggests you have the skills and attributes needed to be successful in that role, the civil service website has loads of jobs so keep on applying and dont let a couple of bad interview experiences make you think your not good enough.

You got this interview and it didnt go too well that doesn't mean the next interview will too so keep applying and learn from any failed interviews.

Good Luck.
    Hey thanks for your advice. I got a job! its not in a public sector but an investment firm, closer to my house and a better salary as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for your advice. I got a job! its not in a public sector but an investment firm, closer to my house and a better salary as well.
    Well done. What type of role is it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.