Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a year three (we have four year programmes) undergraduate psychology student currently studying at one of the top three universities in Hong Kong. I recently found myself interested in the Oxford Msc neuroscience course, so I would like to ask if I have a chance of getting into the programme, or at least the interview stage.

My current GPA is around 3.4, which is approximately the level of a high 2.1/low first-class in my university. As far as I know, the top Hong Kong universities tend to give much lower grades than the American ones (please kindly correct me if I am mistaken), with most courses giving As to only around 5% of the students, and the average GPA of all students is around 3.0. I would like to ask if the university admission staff would take this fact into account and adjust the scoring accordingly?

On the other hand, I still haven't yet have any research experience, having been rejected in my applications for undergraduate research assistant positions on a few occasions. However, I will take a course on practicum in neuroscience, which (as a part of my major requirement) guarantees me the opportunity to work full-time at a professor's lab for one month in the summer. I will probably do an undergraduate thesis next year as well.

In addition to my psychology major, I am intending to take mathematics as my second major, if this is of interest to anyone. I would like to ask if I should be pessimistic about my chances with this little experience and the not very high GPA?

Thank you very much to whoever is willing to help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by L1L2)
    I am a year three (we have four year programmes) undergraduate psychology student currently studying at one of the top three universities in Hong Kong. I recently found myself interested in the Oxford Msc neuroscience course, so I would like to ask if I have a chance of getting into the programme, or at least the interview stage.

My current GPA is around 3.4, which is approximately the level of a high 2.1/low first-class in my university. As far as I know, the top Hong Kong universities tend to give much lower grades than the American ones (please kindly correct me if I am mistaken), with most courses giving As to only around 5% of the students, and the average GPA of all students is around 3.0. I would like to ask if the university admission staff would take this fact into account and adjust the scoring accordingly?

On the other hand, I still haven't yet have any research experience, having been rejected in my applications for undergraduate research assistant positions on a few occasions. However, I will take a course on practicum in neuroscience, which (as a part of my major requirement) guarantees me the opportunity to work full-time at a professor's lab for one month in the summer. I will probably do an undergraduate thesis next year as well.

In addition to my psychology major, I am intending to take mathematics as my second major, if this is of interest to anyone. I would like to ask if I should be pessimistic about my chances with this little experience and the not very high GPA?

Thank you very much to whoever is willing to help.
    Please do not create multiple threads on TSR about the same thing. Unis will set admissions requirements as per the country you come from so look up the requirements for yours. You don't need research experience for a masters program.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the creation of multiple threads. I made the mistake simply because I am new to this website (I created my account less than a week ago). In fact, I have checked the requirements on the department website, but I was just trying to seek some advice from members of this site who as UK citizens are likely to understand the system and procedures taken by the university a lot more. I apologize for the unpleasantness that this thread created. And thanks a lot for your reply.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.