Turn on thread page Beta

Mahrez, is he in the right? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    We all know the antics of Leicester City's Mahrez, but surely he is in the wrong for going AWOL, sums up modern Footballers if they don't get their way, others say he is within his right as he is too big for the club now. What do you make of it all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    We all know the antics of Leicester City's Mahrez, but surely he is in the wrong for going AWOL, sums up modern Footballers if they don't get their way, others say he is within his right as he is too big for the club now. What do you make of it all?
    I’d have more sympathy if he didn’t sign a 4-5 year contract in 2016.

Player power dominates. Liverpool had Coutinho on a 5 year deal but could do nothing to stop Coutinho going to Barça.

When the shoe is on the other foot, a player like Sanchez can negotiate a huge deal for himself as well.

Contracts are ideal for footballers.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to know what is happening or happened behind the scenes.

Some murmurs that he had a gentleman's agreement that he could leave at a certain price (which apparently Man City met) and Leicester went back on their word.

Although if you're going to do that, why not have it put into the contract?

He has to throw his toys out of the pram now though if he wants to secure his move in the summer. I don't think it's right but players have short careers so sometimes they force moves (C.Ronaldo, Suarez. Coutinho, Bale, Sanchez etc)

ReputationRep:
    Not modern football specific tbh. Been happening since transfers were introduced.

Savage did it when he wanted to move from Birmingham to Blackburn.

pierre van hooijdonk did it every couple of weeks.

It’s just more advertised now is all.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he played on the left wing, not the right.

ReputationRep:
    He signed the contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    I thought he played on the left wing, not the right.
    He plays on the right.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Of course he isn't. Millions of people across the country hate their jobs and want to leave, but they still show up for work and put the effort in until they move on. It's no different for footballers!

It's hardly a surprise that Leicester City wouldn't let him leave on deadline day for what they considered a low fee with no replacement lined up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Of course he isn't. Millions of people across the country hate their jobs and want to leave, but they still show up for work and put the effort in until they move on. It's no different for footballers!
    Has he been showing up and putting the effort in?

He knew when he signed the contract he was Leicester's player until it ran out or they accepted a bid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

It's hardly a surprise that Leicester City wouldn't let him leave on deadline day for what they considered a low fee with no replacement lined up.
    Would those people show up and put the effort in if not doing so either meant a pay rise or a better job? They're not doing it because they're such good people, they're doing it because it's the best option for them. It's not the best option for footballers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Would those people show up and put the effort in if not doing so either meant a pay rise or a better job? They're not doing it because they're such good people, they're doing it because it's the best option for them. It's not the best option for footballers.
    Agreed.

If the standard employment market worked like football transfers, then you would find most people acting like pricks when bigger and more successful companies tried to buy them in.

As it is, people can leave any job they want, whenever they want, so there is no need to.

You do see it when people are looking for redundancy/early retirement though. They go into enforced slowdown. Not so bad that they would be sacked but bad enough that the company would want to pay them off to get shut.

ReputationRep:
    Considering he's seen Kante and Drinkwater leave, I don't blame him for wanting to be allowed to go similarly to how his teammates have departed. However, it's his fault and his agent's for not putting in a release clause when he signed a new deal to give him some sort of control when he desired to go. I don't think he's in demand as much as he thinks he is. If he was, like Barcelona wanting Suarez/Coutinho, a club would have been happy to pay whatever it took. IIRC, Roma made few bids for him but again, they didn't want to pay an extra £5-10m.

I'm not fully sure City will come back for him if they find another target.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about Marhez now, not about when players try to force moves in general.

In the summer he wanted to leave, he said that he wanted to leave and almost moved to Roma. Then in January he still wanted to leave. The club has the final decision to sell or keep player regardless of what the player wants. But I think specifically in the Marhez situation, because of how he wanted to leave in the summer, wasn't allowed and still wanted to leave in the January window. That he should have been left to.

I mean what is the point of keeping an unhappy player? now he's being forced to stay where he doesn't wanna be, cos he's wanted to leave since the summer. Then at the start of this month he's been missing training and stuff because of it? to be honest with how Leicester have kept him there against his wishes over the past 2 windows when he wanted to leave in both. Who blames him?

Usually, I'm against it when players go AWOL when their moves fall through. But in this case I support him because he clearly wanted to leave before this window, in the last one.

But then again, I don't understand why he signed that long term contract a few years ago if he wanted to leave... the team HAS changed since, yeah. How they treated Ranieri was horrible after what he achieved with them. Plus most of his old teammates from that good team have been allowed to leave.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.