The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Recruit Test

Hey,
I am currently in the process of trying to join the Royal Navy as an officer. My end goal is to become a medical officer in the Navy but in the mean time I want to get involved before I get off to Uni so it is an easier transition following my medical degree.
I am currently studying for the recruit test as I have that in a few weeks time. I was just wondering if there are any materials people recommend to help study for the recruit test.
Any advice regarding the whole process would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by jenks800
Hey,
I am currently in the process of trying to join the Royal Navy as an officer. My end goal is to become a medical officer in the Navy but in the mean time I want to get involved before I get off to Uni so it is an easier transition following my medical degree.
I am currently studying for the recruit test as I have that in a few weeks time. I was just wondering if there are any materials people recommend to help study for the recruit test.
Any advice regarding the whole process would be greatly appreciated!

Good afternoon,

Whilst it's been a few years since I sat mine for RN Aircrewman (direct entry) the test is the same for all entrants (Officer or Non commissioned).

I, personally, used the RN website which I think had recruit test type questions on there or if not any IQ type websites online helped.

The test itself is fairly standard and the questions certainly aren't out there to trick you. 90% of it is down to time management and I do tell people that whenever they're going for the tests. If you are stuck on a question, just move onto the next one. The time goes incredibly quickly.

Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by 0902
Good afternoon,

Whilst it's been a few years since I sat mine for RN Aircrewman (direct entry) the test is the same for all entrants (Officer or Non commissioned).

I, personally, used the RN website which I think had recruit test type questions on there or if not any IQ type websites online helped.

The test itself is fairly standard and the questions certainly aren't out there to trick you. 90% of it is down to time management and I do tell people that whenever they're going for the tests. If you are stuck on a question, just move onto the next one. The time goes incredibly quickly.

Best of luck.

Brilliant! Thanks very much! yes it seems very time pressured! But I guess you just have to get as many done as possible!
Brilliant! Thanks very much! yes it seems very time pressured! But I guess you just have to get as many done as possible!

The hardest part is the time, for sure. It certainly was for me. The questions themselves though are basic GCSE type subjects e.g Maths, English and a few Sciencey type thrown in. All in all if I can pass it - you should have absolutely no issues :biggrin:
It's been a few years since I took the test too, but I don't remember doing any specific preparation. It's not particularly hard, the only thing that I recall particularly was that there was a section asking you to identify some basic tools or components (to be honest I can't really remember much!). I'm pretty sure that it's only really relevant if you're applying to join as an engineer.
Reply 5
Yeh seems pretty pressured, but seems relatively similar to the UKCAT I had to take for med school entry time wise so hopefully I will be ok!
Are you enjoying life in the Navy!
Original post by 0902
The hardest part is the time, for sure. It certainly was for me. The questions themselves though are basic GCSE type subjects e.g Maths, English and a few Sciencey type thrown in. All in all if I can pass it - you should have absolutely no issues :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by CurlyBen
It's been a few years since I took the test too, but I don't remember doing any specific preparation. It's not particularly hard, the only thing that I recall particularly was that there was a section asking you to identify some basic tools or components (to be honest I can't really remember much!). I'm pretty sure that it's only really relevant if you're applying to join as an engineer.

Ok, brilliant thanks very much! I better review that as that isn't my strong point. Hoping to eventually become a medical officer but I am sure the tool and component section can't be too challenging
Ok, brilliant thanks very much! I better review that as that isn't my strong point. Hoping to eventually become a medical officer but I am sure the tool and component section can't be too challenging

Realistically, if you've got into medical school and have a little common sense it shouldn't be much of a challenge. Definitely worth trying to find some more info on the engineering bit (it's been 8 years since I did it so I'm not much help unfortunately!) but don't stress it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest