Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I hate privilege watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are so misguiding all they show is if you went to a privileged school also you do not even need them in order to be successful and when you get to university they become useless pieces of paper! You can just start a business or get your dream job and be just as successful without them!

ReputationRep:
    I also got mostly U's at gcse due to depression so stfu if you say they are easy to do!

ReputationRep:
    is this depression diagnosed by your doctor?

or is it like my gf? in my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonashon)
    is this depression diagnosed by your doctor?

or is it like my gf? in my mind
    It is not diagnosed but I have severe depression and anxiety and was not able to pass my exams however gcse's are useless and you can still be succesful without them so it does no really matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archon9)
    It is not diagnosed but I have severe depression and anxiety and was not able to pass my exams however gcse's are useless and you can still be succesful without them so it does no really matter!
    if it's not diagnosed that means that you don't have it

you're just lazy

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of kids from non-privileged backgrounds/schools who do very well at their GCSEs, A levels, Degrees, etc.

So what’s your plan? Given it’s February I’m guessing you did your GCSEs a while ago.

Also if you feel that you have depression and anxiety to the point it caused you to fail your exams then you need to see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs might be useless once you have a degree but you need them in order to get into uni and get your degree
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    gcse's are useless and you can still be succesful without them so it does no really matter!
    They're not useless, but you can be 'successful' without them (although probably not academically), just as you can without a degree. It's just a lot easier to get a decent, well-paid job if you have qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are so misguiding all they show is if you went to a privileged school also you do not even need them in order to be successful and when you get to university they become useless pieces of paper! You can just start a business or get your dream job and be just as successful without them!
    You’re right, most GCSEs are useless. But, most employers/colleges/universities will require at least a Grade C/4 in English Language and Mathematics; it also helps if you have three other passes because having 5 A*-C is known to increase your life expectancy in relation to underachievers.

ReputationRep:
    I also got mostly U's at gcse due to depression so stfu if you say they are easy to do!
    You're right, not having good GCSE results does not meant you can't be successful, although they do help many people towards a successful career. And, they're not easy for everyone. I'll just leave this video here, it's long but worth spending an hour of your life watching it and thinking about the message he's delivering. https://youtu.be/5rey8B-yu5Y

ReputationRep:
    I had a headache and got 22 U’s i could’ve gotten 26 A*’s had i not gotten that headache, also GCSE’s aren’t easy and in no way do they define you.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with GCSEs, dude. Just like SATs.

Although yes, capitalism does provide equal opportunity for everyone. This being said, you can't use this to hide behind a crappy education.

Also don't take this the wrong way, I do agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are the most easiest shiz there is....if you got strong foundation i.e. comprehend the mechanism behind it.

ReputationRep:
    eh gcses mean **** all to me once i get past a-levels

ReputationRep:
    You only need GCSE’s to apply for your Alevels that’s literally the only purpose of them. No other academic value whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    They aren't easy but if you mostly got U's it's not really all on depression. I know a ton of people with depression (actual medical diagnosis, not just sad people), some of whom got A's and A*'s.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone with depression and anxiety and her mum died the same year as when she took her exams. She passed all of them apart from one I think. She got a grade 5 in maths and grade 4s in English literature and language. I am not saying that your problems are insignificant because I have known and do know people with anxiety and depression and other issues but if you really got grade Us but you have to ask yourself - did you really get them due to your mental health or did other factors play a part? If you really do believe that you have depression then you should see a doctor and if you feel anxious speaking to them in person then you should try booking a phone appointment instead. I'm sorry if I come across as mean or lack an understanding but I just think you need to reevaluate the reasons for your results.

ReputationRep:
    It has very little to do with privilege... having been at a private and a state school I can tell you now there is very little difference (other than anxty parents at private schools pushing their children into careers they don’t want to do)... yes additional support from home helps:
    - if your parents have given you a routined upbringing, prioritising education and homework so you yourself prioritise these things out of principle.
    - if you have been in the fortunate situation to afford a tutor
    These will undoubtedly help you achieve better results... But there are hundreds of examples where people work hard purely off their own back, purely out of enjoyment for learning and drive to succeed. My friend is the perfect testament to that. She came from a very deprived and unprivileged household, parents who involved with drugs, domestic violence, worst school in the city etc. But she new she wanted to do dentistry and put every ounce of effort into that! She came out with 3A* 4A* 4B at GCSE on track for A*AA at Alevel and has been given a place at 3 of her universities so far (Newcastle, Birmingham and Manchester)
    IT IS POSSIBLE IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT but you shouldn’t be making excuses for yourself. If you feel you have depression, go see a GP, don’t decide for yourself and pin all of your personal failures on that. (Brutal but true) I just think that what you have said is insulting to those who have worked incredibly hard for their results and you are trying to make yourself feel better by devaluing their achievements.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs/A levels/ Degrees mean nothing

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.