Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK. First post at the Student Room. I have been accepted by the Imperial College London for an undergrad program, and (if I don't mess up with my A2 exams) will be studying on the main campus next school year. I gathered from the college's official website that the accommodation application process won't start until May this year; however, I should like to have formed a relatively comprehensive idea about all the residence halls beforehand so as to gain some advantages when the actual decision-making comes along. So, here I am, asking you guys for the trouble to give me some information, when none of you guys actually know me. 😂 Anyway, if you care to answer this question from a perfect stranger (for which I shall be eternally grateful!), it would be utterly kind of you to include your personal evaluation and experience of the residence hall you are in. If you are an Imperial student would-be, just like me, feel free to ask further questions in the thread (I fancy that is what it is called?). Thanks!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    Looking at accomadation too, what are you looking for where you stay?

ReputationRep:
    It massively depends on your budget. If you have plenty to spend (£200 - £250+ a week) you can try and get into the on campus accommodation (Beit (cheapest), Southside and Eastside). Beit is ok, but can get noisy and it isn't the most modern building. Southside and Eastside are nice but very pricey.

As you move further off campus, you have Wilson and Pembridge which are on the northern side of hyde park. These are cheaper than the on campus ones by around £50 a week maybe, depending on what room you get.

Then there is Woodward buildings. It is quite far away (about 35-40 min commute on tube and walking), but it is by far the best halls aside from that and so much cheaper than anything else (even factoring transport). So if you don't mind a commute, then definitely think of Woodward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skblob13)
    Looking at accomadation too, what are you looking for where you stay?
    Haha, I haven't decided yet. Probably one of the three closest to the campus, I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMcD99)
    It massively depends on your budget. If you have plenty to spend (£200 - £250+ a week) you can try and get into the on campus accommodation (Beit (cheapest), Southside and Eastside). Beit is ok, but can get noisy and it isn't the most modern building. Southside and Eastside are nice but very pricey.

As you move further off campus, you have Wilson and Pembridge which are on the northern side of hyde park. These are cheaper than the on campus ones by around £50 a week maybe, depending on what room you get.

Then there is Woodward buildings. It is quite far away (about 35-40 min commute on tube and walking), but it is by far the best halls aside from that and so much cheaper than anything else (even factoring transport). So if you don't mind a commute, then definitely think of Woodward.
    Thank you for the informative reply!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!! Can you help me on this. Basciaccly I'm so confused over how much maintenance loan will I get from going to imperial and studying chemistry (undergraduate). My household income is around 40000 to 50000 ( not sure about exact but minimum is 40k and max is 50k). I have siblings who also go to uni. By using this information, according to calculator that is on imperial website, I should get maintenance loan of 11000 to 14000 which seems so high?? I have probably done something wrong here?? If any one who is imperial student can tell me what so realistically expected .. I am thinking of woodward building which is 140 pounds weekly, roughly 100 pounds on transport and possibly 50 pounds on food. There will also be unexpected cost but still that would mean a lot of money saved if figure abive is true . I Will definiely will get support from dad but is there any chance I could survive only from maintennce loan??? Can somebody help me with this .. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whocaresmyass)
    Hi guys!! Can you help me on this. Basciaccly I'm so confused over how much maintenance loan will I get from going to imperial and studying chemistry (undergraduate). My household income is around 40000 to 50000 ( not sure about exact but minimum is 40k and max is 50k). I have siblings who also go to uni. By using this information, according to calculator that is on imperial website, I should get maintenance loan of 11000 to 14000 which seems so high?? I have probably done something wrong here?? If any one who is imperial student can tell me what so realistically expected .. I am thinking of woodward building which is 140 pounds weekly, roughly 100 pounds on transport and possibly 50 pounds on food. There will also be unexpected cost but still that would mean a lot of money saved if figure abive is true . I Will definiely will get support from dad but is there any chance I could survive only from maintennce loan??? Can somebody help me with this .. thank you
    That sounds too high to me for just maintenence. My maintenence loan is around 9.5k a year, and i think my household income is less than yours. But you've also got to remember about the imperial bursary which is based on income, and gives you up to 5k extra a year (you will probably get 2-3k at most).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMcD99)
    That sounds too high to me for just maintenence. My maintenence loan is around 9.5k a year, and i think my household income is less than yours. But you've also got to remember about the imperial bursary which is based on income, and gives you up to 5k extra a year (you will probably get 2-3k at most).
    Yeah sorry, figure above is bursary added to maintenance loan as well .. but still 9.5 k .. isn't that is more than enough to live in London e.g 140 pounds per weekly for a room im looking for ... do you cover all of your cost by maintenance loan or do you need extra money on top of that to cover all cost including rent, food, leisure, books etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whocaresmyass)
    Yeah sorry, figure above is bursary added to maintenance loan as well .. but still 9.5 k .. isn't that is more than enough to live in London e.g 140 pounds per weekly for a room im looking for ... do you cover all of your cost by maintenance loan or do you need extra money on top of that to cover all cost including rent, food, leisure, books etc
    It is more than enough for me. I rarely even use the maintenance loan for anything apart from the accommodation, i live fine on just the bursary for everything else, which is £500 a month for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 31999321)
    Haha, I haven't decided yet. Probably one of the three closest to the campus, I think?
    I'm looking at Beit but it is a bit expensive for me, I like both Pembridge and WIlson bbecaus they're cheaper and still relatively close

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.