Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m a graduate (three year BA) and have applied to several graduate entry medicine courses and haven’t been successful. As GEM are so competitive I tried to hedge my bets and so my one remaining option - I’m waiting to hear back on - is a five year standard medicine course. Would I be eligible for a loan, or will I have to completely self fund? I appreciate situation is different on a graduate entry medicine course vs a standard 5 year one, but I’ve read conflicting advice online...

Thanks for any help/ you can offer!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ArthurCucumber)
    Hi
    I’m a graduate (three year BA) and have applied to several graduate entry medicine courses and haven’t been successful. As GEM are so competitive I tried to hedge my bets and so my one remaining option - I’m waiting to hear back on - is a five year standard medicine course. Would I be eligible for a loan, or will I have to completely self fund? I appreciate situation is different on a graduate entry medicine course vs a standard 5 year one, but I’ve read conflicting advice online...

Hi ArthurCucumber,

SFE Graduate Entry Medical/ Dental Funding 4 year

Tuition Fee SupportThe university/College (HEP) can charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 (same as other courses) Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,535. If the student wishes to borrow a tuition fee loan, please advise them to indicate amount of loan they wish to borrow in the Loan Request Form. Year 2-4 - The first £3465 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. Maintenance Support Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant. Year 2-4 – The student is eligible to apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to Student Finance England for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.

If the student is studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine /Dentistry Course

Regards Rona
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ArthurCucumber)
    Hi

Hi Arthur,

I have confirmed that funding for a five year graduate entry course is different that 4 year graduate entry course.

If the student is studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course

As studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then the student is entitled to Maintenance Loan only for the first 4 years and then a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan RRML in their final year.

Regards Rona

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.