Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m a graduate (three year BA) and have applied to several graduate entry medicine courses and haven’t been successful. As GEM are so competitive I tried to hedge my bets and so my one remaining option - I’m waiting to hear back on - is a five year standard medicine course. Would I be eligible for a loan, or will I have to completely self fund? I appreciate situation is different on a graduate entry medicine course vs a standard 5 year one, but I’ve read conflicting advice online...

Thanks for any help/ you can offer!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ArthurCucumber)
    Hi
    I’m a graduate (three year BA) and have applied to several graduate entry medicine courses and haven’t been successful. As GEM are so competitive I tried to hedge my bets and so my one remaining option - I’m waiting to hear back on - is a five year standard medicine course. Would I be eligible for a loan, or will I have to completely self fund? I appreciate situation is different on a graduate entry medicine course vs a standard 5 year one, but I’ve read conflicting advice online...

Hi ArthurCucumber,

SFE Graduate Entry Medical/ Dental Funding 4 year

Tuition Fee SupportThe university/College (HEP) can charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 (same as other courses) Year 1 – The student will have to self fund the first £3465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder up to £5,535. If the student wishes to borrow a tuition fee loan, please advise them to indicate amount of loan they wish to borrow in the Loan Request Form. Year 2-4 - The first £3465 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. Maintenance Support Year 1 – The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant. Year 2-4 – The student is eligible to apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to Student Finance England for a reduced rate Maintenance Loan.

If the student is studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine /Dentistry Course

Regards Rona
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ArthurCucumber)
    Hi

Hi Arthur,

I have confirmed that funding for a five year graduate entry course is different that 4 year graduate entry course.

If the student is studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course

As studying a Graduate Entry Medicine course that is 5 years long then the student is entitled to Maintenance Loan only for the first 4 years and then a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan RRML in their final year.

Regards Rona

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.