Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not from the UK and am probably going to study at Durham or Warwick, which are relatively small towns compared to the rest of Great Britain. Is it really difficult or quite easy to find jobs for students in such towns? Also, what average salary should I expect from up to 20h per week?

I have a job offer with very flexible hours but 300£ per month (the employer said 40-50h per month, plus I'll have to pay taxes). By my country's standards that's okay, but if I understood the information on the internet correctly, that's horrible for the UK. Or am I riding the high horse here?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    You'll need to check that your visa allows you right to work in the UK - I believe not all student visas do

In any case, in terms of pay you can reasonably expect to be paid minimum wage - perhaps 10-20p more per hour, at best. Bear in mind also that min wage is lower for people under 25; you can find these rates on the gov.uk website.

As for job availability, this is fairly variable. As you said, Durham and Warwick are both relatively small areas. I'd imagine Warwick may have slightly more availability there though. However both are nearish larger towns - Newcastle and Coventry respectively - so if you're able/willing to commute then you may have more opportunities. I'm pretty sure the call centre I used to work at has a branch in Newcastle actually..

Of course, this would probably limit you to weekend working as opposed to casual hours woven in your timetable. Regarding types of work, this would probably be mainly retail or call centre customer service type work as indicated above. There are bar/catering (ranging from fast food places to coffee shops to formal restaurants) jobs around usually, but typically these are the first choice for students and so have the luxury of demanding experience and being more selective in who they take.

For reference, I believe min wage for someone who is 25 or over here is approx £1100 pcm before taxes, working full time (bear in mind it will be less for younger people). However the cost of living in the UK is generally higher than a lot of other places - I'm not sure specifically how Durham and Warwick compare though.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.