The Student Room Group

Exam question help

“A point P lies on the line y= 4-3x. The point p is a distance squared root 34 from the origin. Find two possible positions of P.” I dont get this at all, it doesnt come with a diagram just a worded question
Original post by Luciehkd
“A point P lies on the line y= 4-3x. The point p is a distance squared root 34 from the origin. Find two possible positions of P.” I dont get this at all, it doesnt come with a diagram just a worded question

If it lies on that line at x=px=p, then it has coordinates (p,43p)(p,4-3p). So, what is the distance of it from the origin in terms of pp? This is just applying Pythagoras' Theorem.
(edited 6 years ago)

Sketch the line, marking where it crosses the axes. Now draw a circle of radius ~6 (so that you get the intersections in approximately the right locations), centered on the origin. This should show you (approximately) the two points that you're after.

The maths is actually a little simpler. Any point on the line can be written as (x, 4-3x). Can you write a formula for the distance from the origin to that generic point? Solve for that being root 34.

Please post your workign if you have any issues.
Reply 3
It cant be, its not a right angled triangle.. im so confused
Reply 4

Answer is p( 3 ; -5) and (-3/5 ; 29/5)
It cant be, its not a right angled triangle.. im so confused

Red line is y=43xy=4-3x

The purple line is the line whose length you're looking for.

Reply 6
Original post by Rockers.
Answer is p( 3 ; -5) and (-3/5 ; 29/5)

Thank you, would you please explain how you got this. If its not too much to ask? :smile:
Original post by Rockers.
Answer is

Please don't post answers. The intention is to help posters understand how to tackle problems.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest