Turn on thread page Beta

Lack of migrant workers left food rotting in UK fields last year, data reveals watch

ReputationRep:
    Exclusive: Brexit fears and falling pound left fruit and vegetable farms short of more than 4,000 workers, with senior MPs warning of a ‘crisis’

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-data-reveals

:lol:

Come on Leave voters. This is what you have been waiting for. Time to get up and take these jobs. British jobs for british people.

Where are all the fat middle aged gammons volenteering to do these jobs?

I shant be doing these jobs as I don;t want to be getting up at 4am to pic fruit for some farmer. But then again, I didn't vote Leave and I am not against immigration. I don't see why it is up to me to fill the gap made by blokes who think they fought in the war :beard:

I propose a third solution. Lets automate these processes. Come on farmers. It seems you can no longer rely on exploiting eastern europeans to make your profit. Lets see some of this capitalist inovation I hear so much about.

ReputationRep:
    If we're sensible, this is where automation will come into play. It's important to note that the employment paradigm for a migrant worker from a relatively poor country is entirely different to that of someone wanting to make their life in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with you OP.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Processes that can be automated mostly already are, those that aren't yet that could be probably haven't been because farming subsidies mean they don't really need to.

As for getting people to do it, there is a simple solution and that is to take away benefits from those unwilling to work, that way people are given a choice: take jobs available to them or lose their income, better still change our stupid minimum wage laws so they can be paid based on the amount of work they do rather than for turning up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

As for getting people to do it, there is a simple solution and that is to take away benefits from those unwilling to work, that way people are given a choice: take jobs available to them or lose their income, better still change our stupid minimum wage laws so they can be paid based on the amount of work they do rather than for turning up.
    You are right though. For capilalism to function you have to make it so you have a section fo poeple that are threatened with destitution if they do not do the crappiest of jobs. Please explain how this is promotes human liberty.

Lots of people work on a fixed wage, or this might shock you, a salary where they do indeed get paid for turning up. :afraid:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Lots of people work on a fixed wage, or this might shock you, a salary. :afraid:
    And? I work for a salary, does that mean that workers who's value is very strongly related to their output should not be paid based on that output?

ReputationRep:

You are right though. For capitalism to function you have to make it so you have a section fo poeple that are threatened with destitution if they do not do the crappiest of jobs. Please explain how this promotes human liberty.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You are right though. For capitalism to function you have to make it so you have a section fo poeple that are threatened with destitution if they do not do the crappiest of jobs. Please explain how this promotes human liberty.
    What distinguishes a crappy job from a job they want to do? At what point should the state stop deciding that I have to pay for some lazy ass that doesn't want to work? Being paid to do nothing is not a right, it's a privilege. Paying the unemployed is reasonable as long as they are actively looking for work and do not throw away opportunities for paid employment just because they don't like the work.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone was free to not to work and took advantage of that liberty then crops wouldn't even get planted in the first place. Is that a scenario worth promoting?

ReputationRep:
    What distinguishes a crappy job from a job they want to do? At what point should the state stop deciding that I have to pay for some lazy ass that doesn't want to work? Being paid to do nothing is not a right, it's a privilege. Paying the unemployed is reasonable as long as they are actively looking for work and do not throw away opportunities for paid employment just because they don't like the work.
    This is all very nice but it doesn't address the big probelm with captlaism evidently not being about human liberty.

The fact you have to compel poeple to do these jobs via the threat of destituion suggests they are not good jobs.

Unlike say vocations such as being a docotor which are very popular. Or creative jobs that pay very little but people do anyway. All you have to do is walk down the street to spot the buskers. Some actavities are more furfilling than others. Don't tell me you have not studied the concept of alienation in your poltical travels?

ReputationRep:
    Who used to pick them before the Polish and Romanians came over?
    We live in a capitalist economy. If they can't get pickers at the current rate perhaps they should raise the wages to the point where people are willing to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just my opinion)
    We live in a capitalist economy. If they can't get pickers at the current rate perhaps they should raise the wages to the point where people are willing to do it.
    the travelling community provided much of the agricultural labour for picking crops.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well great! how about we start making some of the 1 million or so unemployed british citizens work these jobs to work for their benefits. Esp the lazy ones who see their life mission to make babies and be a burden on the state for their whole lives.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Just my opinion)
    Slaves. Exactly what some leavers still support to this day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Slaves. Exactly what some leavers still support to this day.
    You could argue this is what modern day liberals want.

The current situation was/is currenlty akin to slavery, to just get cheap foreign imported labour to be exploited so we don't have to the work.

ReputationRep:
    the answer is to have 'guest visas' - ie,. short visas for the picking season only

this worked a treat in the US till the liberals took over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So-Sarah)
    the answer is to have 'guest visas' - ie,. short visas for the picking season only

this worked a treat in the US till the liberals took over
    Bingo! 👍😁
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    Well great! how about we start making some of the 1 million or so unemployed british citizens work these jobs to work for their benefits. Esp the lazy ones who see their life mission to make babies and be a burden on the state for their whole lives.
    How many people on Jobseekers Allowance will live anywhere near the areas where this sort of work is? I'll be surprised if it's even 1%. Which means they'd have to move.

Moving to a remote area of the country for a few months working unsociable hours for a pittance won't benefit anyone, in fact it will just hinder them from getting a long term job and getting off the dole. I highly doubt anyone will put them up for free either, so that's another cost coming out of their meagre wages. What happens if they're already paying rent elsewhere?

It's easy to say "increase the wages" but even if it offered £15 an hour I can't imagine people would be queuing up to join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    If we're sensible, this is where automation will come into play. It's important to note that the employment paradigm for a migrant worker from a relatively poor country is entirely different to that of someone wanting to make their life in Britain.
    I think we need to accept that there are many processes that robots just can not do. I find it fascinating watching How its Made or Inside the Factor where you have some of the most advanced production lines in the world, but it is still a person who takes them of the conveyor belt and puts them in a box / palette / truck.

The irony is that it is going to be white collar workers that suffer the scourge of automation whilst low paid workers will be generally unaffected. You can't make a robot clean a hotel room for example, but you can replace the hotel manager to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    Exclusive: Brexit fears and falling pound left fruit and vegetable farms short of more than 4,000 workers, with senior MPs warning of a ‘crisis’

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-data-reveals

:lol:

Come on Leave voters. This is what you have been waiting for. Time to get up and take these jobs. British jobs for british people.

Where are all the fat middle aged gammons volenteering to do these jobs?

I shant be doing these jobs as I don;t want to be getting up at 4am to pic fruit for some farmer. But then again, I didn't vote Leave and I am not against immigration. I don't see why it is up to me to fill the gap made by blokes who think they fought in the war :beard:

I propose a third solution. Lets automate these processes. Come on farmers. It seems you can no longer rely on exploiting eastern europeans to make your profit. Lets see some of this capitalist inovation I hear so much about.
    "Come on Leave voters. This is what you have been waiting for. Time to get up and take these jobs. British jobs for British people" - Why should leave voters take up low-paying manual jobs? The referendum and the anti-EU campaign had more policy than just immigration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.