Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth applying for economics at Cambridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry and English Lit and everyone has been encouraging me to apply but I'm sure everyone who applies for economics will have grades similar or better than mine AND they might have further maths or economics as one of their A levels, which would put me at a disadvantage. Plus, the acceptance rates are 16% for economics at Cambridge. Is it worth using one of my five uni options?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JustSomeone19)
    I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry and English Lit and everyone has been encouraging me to apply but I'm sure everyone who applies for economics will have grades similar or better than mine AND they might have further maths or economics as one of their A levels, which would put me at a disadvantage. Plus, the acceptance rates are 16% for economics at Cambridge. Is it worth using one of my five uni options?
    You'd be doing well to find 5 unis that you love and would be completely happy to go to all of them.

If you like the look of Cambridge and have visited (if possible) then why not?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you'll probably get all the offers at the other 4.

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel that you can make a satisfactory living at economics? I saw that you mentioned Chemistry. Have you considered Chemical engineering? That might be an alternative career path. I'm an electrical engineer, so i'm not 'up to speed' on what's going on in Chemical engineering, but i'd think it might be worth a look. My experience in the job market has been that economists don't generally do as well as engineers. Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    The first and most obvious question is: do you want to apply for econ and if so, do you like Cambridge's course?
    Secondly, do you like Cambridge for Cambridge (not just for the rep/idea)?

Finally, without meaning to put you off, I've heard that Cambridge like to see further maths for econ since econ at uni is EXTREMELY mathematical. It's not required on the website, but I know it's preferred.

But if you're answer to the first 2 questions is definitively yes, I'd say go for it, as long as it doesn't decrease your chances of getting an offer from a uni you love!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i’ve studied economics at high school can I have a chance to get in at Oxford or Cambridge at E&M faculty. I mention i was in socio human sciences highschool so maths it wasn’t my first course studied there.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Understand the nature of risk...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I’m not really good at maths probably i will try, i have to choose between law computer science and Economics or E&M
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ChrisChristian)
    Hello, i’ve studied economics at high school can I have a chance to get in at Oxford or Cambridge at E&M faculty. I mention i was in socio human sciences highschool so maths it wasn’t my first course studied there.
    I’m not really good at maths probably i will try, i have to choose between law computer science and Economics or E&M
    CS and Economics are both based on maths. If you don't enjoy (or have top grades in) maths you are unlikely to get Oxbridge offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit2)
    Do you feel that you can make a satisfactory living at economics? I saw that you mentioned Chemistry. Have you considered Chemical engineering? That might be an alternative career path. I'm an electrical engineer, so i'm not 'up to speed' on what's going on in Chemical engineering, but i'd think it might be worth a look. My experience in the job market has been that economists don't generally do as well as engineers. Best of luck!!
    I was previously going to pick chemical engineering but the deeper I get into chemistry A levels the more I realise it is not for me 😭

ReputationRep:
    Why don’t you do a joint honors, I’m pretty sure some unis offer law with economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martins1)
    The first and most obvious question is: do you want to apply for econ and if so, do you like Cambridge's course?
    Secondly, do you like Cambridge for Cambridge (not just for the rep/idea)?

Finally, without meaning to put you off, I've heard that Cambridge like to see further maths for econ since econ at uni is EXTREMELY mathematical. It's not required on the website, but I know it's preferred.

But if you're answer to the first 2 questions is definitively yes, I'd say go for it, as long as it doesn't decrease your chances of getting an offer from a uni you love!
    I do want to apply for Econ and Cambridge’s course seems pretty interesting too. I’m trying to read up some books on economics just to be sure tho. & yes that’s what I’m worried about because if the acceptance rate is only 16% they’d see that I haven’t done economics or further maths at A level and use that as an excuse to reduce their list

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do NOT apply for computer science: i) it is probably the next maths-heavy course after maths itself, ii) generally it requires FM and iii) it always requires that you enjoy and are good at maths.
    Economics also requires maths and in a lot of cases recommends FM. If you are not very good at or do not enjoy maths, universities advise against taking economics courses like that of Cambridge.
    E&M sounds like a course more suited to you, but it does require some maths so if you're really bad at or really do not enjoy maths, again I'd advise considering other courses.
    Law or a management course may be more to your strengths. I'd advise looking into one or a mixture of these, or a joint honours course with econ and law.

I do want to apply for Econ and Cambridge’s course seems pretty interesting too. I’m trying to read up some books on economics just to be sure tho. & yes that’s what I’m worried about because if the acceptance rate is only 16% they’d see that I haven’t done economics or further maths at A level and use that as an excuse to reduce their list
    Yeah I agree that I think you should apply - but do have a look at Oxford's E&M course (less maths, more competitive) and other unis' econ and/or management courses.

Not doing econ shouldn't be an issue in terms of your application. FM is preferred. The fact that you don't do either may hinder you in interview, so if you do choose to apply to cambridge for econ and get an interview, teaching yourself some econ maths and also reading some econ will definitely help!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I was previously going to pick chemical engineering but the deeper I get into chemistry A levels the more I realise it is not for me 😭
    Well, as i said, my expertise is in electrical, rather than chemical. I can assure you though, that studying electrical engineering is NOTHING like doing it!! When i did my undergrad degree in EE, i had more experience at running engineering projects than the head of the EE department and his deputy combined. In fact, i had nearly twice as much experience as they did. Cheers.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.