Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal: I've been working as a cashier for almost two years now. I use a laser to scan products. The laser is fixed and I take the product over it, it's really simple.
    But sometimes when there aren't any customers nearby and I'm just sitting there I notice the laser shines directly into my eyes.
    I must admit my eyes aren't the best anyway. I first got glasses after working for only a few months and I do think that's a coincidence. However, my eyes are definitely getting worse lately. I can still see but everything starts getting a little unsharp from 5 meters away. Could this be related to my job?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dutchstudent123)
    Here's the deal: I've been working as a cashier for almost two years now. I use a laser to scan products. The laser is fixed and I take the product over it, it's really simple.
    But sometimes when there aren't any customers nearby and I'm just sitting there I notice the laser shines directly into my eyes.
    I must admit my eyes aren't the best anyway. I first got glasses after working for only a few months and I do think that's a coincidence. However, my eyes are definitely getting worse lately. I can still see but everything starts getting a little unsharp from 5 meters away. Could this be related to my job?
    I really doubt the laser is causing damage to your eye to be honest as those lasers are very weak and not like a laser pointer or anything similar. You could try placing a home made cover type thing on it so when it's not being used the laser isn't shining in your face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchstudent123)
    Eyesight does change over time - so that could be a reason. Have you been to see your optician?

ReputationRep:
    It can influence somehow but it can be not the only factor. Eyesight changes with the flow of time you just need to check it regularly and take doctor's advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    I really doubt the laser is causing damage to your eye to be honest as those lasers are very weak and not like a laser pointer or anything similar. You could try placing a home made cover type thing on it so when it's not being used the laser isn't shining in your face?
    I hope you're right. And thanks for the tip. Most of the time I do use the laser and it shines towards me in between products anyway. But yes maybe it isn't really harmful

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.