Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I currently have the following offers for International Relations:
    Exeter: AAA
    York: AAB
    Birmingham: ABB
    Kent: AAB (on UCAS) / BBB (on Kent account)

I am pretty much decided that I'm going to put Exeter as my firm choice. But, when it comes to my insurance choice is it too much of a risk to put York as this is only one grade below my Exeter offer? My main Alternative is likely to be Birmingham, although I'm waiting for a reply from Kent to make sure that BBB are grades that I could get in on, although even then I'd probably chiose Birmingham over Kent.

Also, for people who go to Russell group universities, how lenient do they tend to be on grades on results day, for example, would I likely still get to Exeter if i got AAB?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanRNykamp)

I am pretty much decided that I'm going to put Exeter as my firm choice. But, when it comes to my insurance choice is it too much of a risk to put York as this is only one grade below my Exeter offer? My main Alternative is likely to be Birmingham, although I'm waiting for a reply from Kent to make sure that BBB are grades that I could get in on, although even then I'd probably chiose Birmingham over Kent.

Also, for people who go to Russell group universities, how lenient do they tend to be on grades on results day, for example, would I likely still get to Exeter if i got AAB?

Thanks!
    RG unis can be generous on results day or not. It all depends on how many applicants meet their offers. Unis which offer lower grades tend to have places in Clearing, though nothing is certain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanRNykamp)

Thanks!
    1) If you can't really see yourself going to Birmingham or Kent, pick York. No point getting to results day and finding you're going to an insurance choice that you really wish you weren't going to.

2) What are your predicted grades? Is it pretty likely you'll get these grades?

ReputationRep:
    Advice on Firm and Insurance choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

What Happens on Results Day : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...sults-day-2018

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catherineoxley12)
    1) If you can't really see yourself going to Birmingham or Kent, pick York. No point getting to results day and finding you're going to an insurance choice that you really wish you weren't going to.

2) What are your predicted grades? Is it pretty likely you'll get these grades?
    I reckon York is slightly above Birmingham for me, but thats mostly because I live in Leamington Spa, so reasonably close to Birmingham. I wouldn't be unhappy to go to Birmingham at all.

I'm predicted AAA, and I think it's the standard of these that makes me somewhat hesitant to only give myself the insurance of AAB from York.

Thanks for the advice!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.