Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

feeling ashamed about the email I sent to my teacher... watch

Please read this and tell me what you think about me (bring on the hate)

So my maths mock was coming up and I wanted to ask him about the topics.

Hi (teacher's name),Are these the topics that will be in our tracking test?Pure:Graph transformationR formsDifferential equationsVectorsIntegrationTrapezium ruleMechanics:Centre of massWork, energy and powerThanks

This list was sent by another teacher to his students, so I wanted to check with my teacher if the topics will be the same for our test.

My teacher responded:

Hi (my name)What makes you think these are the topics?Cheers(his name)I thought this email wasn't very constructive. Surely if they were the topics, he'd say yes, if they weren't, he'd say no. If he didn't want me to know, he'd make it clear. Why would he ask me something so trivial? So I sent him this:There had to be a reason why we were playing Bingo on graph transformations all of sudden.It's okay. I suppose it's better if we didn't know what's going to come up.Do you think I come across as really arrogant and immature in this email, as if I need a reason to justify what he wants he us to do in lessons?

Also, the list was also on the website of the teacher who sent it out, so really anyone could access to it.

Ughh I can't stop feeling guilty about sending this... helppp

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don’t! Most people send a cringey email to their teachers once in their lives at least (I did many times!). So the teachers are used to it and tbh I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Its not that deep, just forget about it. Its unnecessary to care for small things like this .

why would he tell you what was going to be on the mock?

(Original post by Bethany1309)
    Seriously don’t! Most people send a cringey email to their teachers once in their lives at least (I did many times!). So the teachers are used to it and tbh I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it ☺️
    So this line

"There had to be a reason why we were playing Bingo on graph transformations all of sudden"

doesn't make me sound arrogant and know-it-all? maybe a bit?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Because another teacher told his class, so I didn't think there'd be anything wrong with it. can u please answer my question of whether my 2nd email makes me sound like an arrogant and snobby student?

(Original post by Rp3213)
    Its not that deep, just forget about it. Its unnecessary to care for small things like this .
    well I have a tendency to thank goodness it's half term so he won't be seeing me for a while
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Stop stressing I know people who have sent nudes to their teachers. Just kidding.

Trust me its nothing don't fret if you are really worried then ask your teacher.

ReputationRep:

Hi (teacher's name),Are these the topics that will be in our tracking test?Pure:Graph transformationR formsDifferential equationsVectorsIntegrationTrapezium ruleMechanics:Centre of massWork, energy and powerThanks

This list was sent by another teacher to his students, so I wanted to check with my teacher if the topics will be the same for our test.

My teacher responded:

Hi (my name)What makes you think these are the topics?Cheers(his name)I thought this email wasn't very constructive. Surely if they were the topics, he'd say yes, if they weren't, he'd say no. If he didn't want me to know, he'd make it clear. Why would he ask me something so trivial? So I sent him this:There had to be a reason why we were playing Bingo on graph transformations all of sudden.It's okay. I suppose it's better if we didn't know what's going to come up.Do you think I come across as really arrogant and immature in this email, as if I need a reason to justify what he wants he us to do in lessons?
    You get more than one word replies? Luxury

I emailed a lecturer asking if the OSBM and TBM figures for a site we surveyed where correct...he replied "No"
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hi (my name)What makes you think these are the topics?Cheers(his name)
    That's a bit of an arsey email. Teachers are meant to be there to help students. If the topic list is private then they should have said. If it isn't then they should have replied saying that they will give the topic list to the whole class.

I would never send an email like that to a student, especially a sixth former. If a teacher expects a student to respect them then they should show the same respect.

ReputationRep:

My teacher responded:

You should be able to establish what your instructors thinks is important by two things: How long they spend talking about each topic they cover in class, and b> how much work do they do in connection with covering it.

As an example: Say the instructor spends 3 minutes talking about topic A, and then another 5 minutes drawing diagrams on the board about it (as well as discussing the drawings). If we assign 1 to 3 as an 'order of difficulty' metric, 1 for a really easy discussion, and 3 for a complicated, difficult one; as well as 3 to 6 for drawing things on the board. Say that the discussion was average - say a 2. The diagrams were fairly complicated - say a 5. We multiply the 3 minutes by 2, giving a 6 for the discussion, and then the 5 minutes by 5 for a 25. Add the 6 to the 25, to get 31 for the total work done on that topic. Do this for each topic, and then total up all the total work done on each topic. Rank the topics in decreasing order, from the highest. Then figure how many questions you can be asked, and make up a few more than that on your sample test. I did this for 5 courses, and the worst i ever did was hitting the actual test questions by about 75%. Several times i hit 100%, i.e. i had every test question on my sample exam, with only 1 or 2 extras. That's a big help when you are trying to decide what to study. Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    You make me sick, you monster!

You thought you could enquire about test topics and get away with it??

ReputationRep:
    Because in the real exam they'll know what topics will come up.

(Original post by Notnek)
    That's a bit of an arsey email. Teachers are meant to be there to help students. If the topic list is private then they should have said. If it isn't then they should have replied saying that they will give the topic list to the whole class.

I would never send an email like that to a student, especially a sixth former. If a teacher expects a student to respect them then they should show the same respect.
    Exactly! Maybe it was Friday afternoon and he was exhausted after having to teach Maths for several hours. But he had a computer right in front of him, he could have checked the topic list with a few clicks.

I just hope he doesn't think of me as this smug and bad-tempered student after reading my second email...

If a teacher expects a student to respect them then they should show the same respect.
    I think a student should respect their teachers no matter what they say or do. If they have authority then students should unquestioningly respect them.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I think a student should respect their teachers no matter what they say or do. If they have authority then students should unquestioningly respect them.
    I should add that I think it was definitely wrong how the OP replied to their teacher.

I should add that I think it was definitely wrong how the OP replied to their teacher.
    can't agree with you more... should I do anything about it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    can't agree with you more... should I do anything about it?
    If it was me I'd reply again saying that I was sorry if my email came across in a certain way. It's a bit embarassing but at least you're making sure that you apologise just in case your teacher didn't like your email.

But I don't think it will be a big deal if you do nothing.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.