The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews rejects 2018

Hey guys,

If you're reading this... Commiserations.

After getting rejected from St Andrews today, and seeing loads of decisions come through on the 2018 applications thread, I'm curious to see where those who were rejected are from. Importantly whether you're an international student or not as I have heard the uni prioritises offers to international students...

So do share your course, predicted grades, where you're from, or anything else.

About me:

Course: Economics and Management
Predicted Grades: A*A*AA in A Levels (Chemistry, Economics, Maths and Business Studies)
Achieved Grades: 4 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs in GCSEs
Other Offers: Bath, Warwick; LSE (waiting) and Oxford (rejected)
Which University Benefits from St Andrews' decision: LSE! (received an offer in March) :biggrin::biggrin:
Where are you from?: England

EDIT: Received an offer from LSE!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good luck with wherever you end up guys. if anyone asks for feedback let us know what they say :wink:

Course: History
Predicted Grades: A*A*A in A Levels (Classical Civ, Philosophy, History) and doing an EPQ this year
Achieved Grades: 4 As at AS level, 2 A*s, 3 As, 2 Bs and 3 Cs at GCSE
Other Offers: Durham, Leeds, York and Cambridge (rejected)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Course: English Literature
Achieved grades: 3A*s 5As 2Bs 2Cs at GCSE, A*AAB at A-level (gap yahhh)
Other offers: Edinburgh and Warwick (offered), Durham and UCL (waiting). Only really care about Durham though, this rejection has just made me think it’ll be a rejection from Durham as well.
Where are you from? England.
Original post by Gluefiend

Hey guys,

If you're reading this... Commiserations.

After getting rejected from St Andrews today, and seeing loads of decisions come through on the 2018 applications thread, I'm curious to see where those who were rejected are from. Importantly whether you're an international student or not as I have heard the uni prioritises offers to international students...

So do share your course, predicted grades, where you're from, or anything else.

About me:

Course: Economics and Management
Predicted Grades: A*A*AA in A Levels (Chemistry, Economics, Maths and Business Studies)
Achieved Grades: 4 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs in GCSEs
Other Offers: Bath, Warwick; LSE (waiting) and Oxford (rejected)

So...This is pretty simillar to a thread that was posted last year:

Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Hi guys,

If you're reading this.... Commiserations. :grr::frown:

After getting rejected from St Andrews yesterday, and seeing a load more decisions come through on the Hopefuls thread, I'm curious to see where those who were rejected are from. Importantly whether you live in Scotland or not as I have heard a lot that Scottish unis prioritise offers to Scottish students... Although I'm unsure as to why this would be as students from outside Scotland are fee paying...:s-smilie::confused:

So do share your course, predicted grades, typical course offer, or anything else. :redface:

And complete the poll (but only if you've actually been rejected)! :smile:

About me:
Applied for French & Arabic, predicted A*AA (A-levels), typical offer for my course at St A's is AAB. I also have an offer from Durham for AAA.:confused:

I'll reiterate what I said then:
It's a shame that you didn't get an offer, but what exactly do you think you're going to learn from this? It's a tiny sample, you don't know how many people applied from each area, or how many students the university is able to take. Basically the data you will get from this is totally useless.

Your grades are fantastic, but St Andrews don't give out offers just because you have great grades(see the quote from the website below) - they read your personal statement and reference and decide whether they think you're right for the course, and whether the course is right for you. Unfortunately they didn't give you an offer this time.

There's no 'prioritisation' of different types of students, the only thing they're limited on is how many scottish or EU students they take because the government pays for them.
Original post by la_banane_verte

It's a shame that you didn't get an offer, but what exactly do you think you're going to learn from this? It's a tiny sample, you don't know how many people applied from each area, or how many students the university is able to take. Basically the data you will get from this is totally useless.

Your grades are fantastic, but St Andrews don't give out offers just because you have great grades(see the quote from the website below) - they read your personal statement and reference and decide whether they think you're right for the course, and whether the course is right for you. Unfortunately they didn't give you an offer this time.

There's no 'prioritisation' of different types of students, the only thing they're limited on is how many scottish or EU students they take because the government pays for them.

lol copy//paste :colonhash:
Reply 5
Predicted Grades: A*A*A ( English Literature, Classics, History)
Achieved Grades: 2A*, 5A's, 2B's and a diploma in ICT at GCSE. 1 AS Level at A (our school doesn't do AS's anymore)
Other Offers: Leeds, Loughborough, Bath Spa, Edinburgh (waiting)
Luckily St Andrews wasn't my top, but just a bit annoying obviously to be rejected. Think it was probably the fact my grades were a bit low and I only have one AS. Still waiting on Edinburgh though, so finger's crossed :smile:
Reply 6

yes i found the thread saw last year and saw that there are other threads for rejects so thought that there's no harm in creating one for st andrews :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sadow
good luck with wherever you end up guys. if anyone asks for feedback let us know what they say :wink:

Predicted Grades: A*A*A in A Levels (Classical Civ, Philosophy, History) and doing an EPQ this year
Achieved Grades: 4 As at AS level, 2 A*s, 3 As, 2 Bs and 3 Cs at GCSE
Other Offers: Durham, Leeds, York and Cambridge (rejected)

Original post by Phoebee1998
Other offers: Edinburgh and Warwick (offered), Durham and UCL (waiting). Only really care about Durham though, this rejection has just made me think it’ll be a rejection from Durham as well.

Original post by sduls1
Predicted Grades: A*A*A ( English Literature, Classics, History)
Achieved Grades: 2A*, 5A's, 2B's and a diploma in ICT at GCSE. 1 AS Level at A (our school doesn't do AS's anymore)
Other Offers: Leeds, Loughborough, Bath Spa, Edinburgh (waiting)
Luckily St Andrews wasn't my top, but just a bit annoying obviously to be rejected. Think it was probably the fact my grades were a bit low and I only have one AS. Still waiting on Edinburgh though, so finger's crossed :smile:

where do you guys plan on going now?
Durham if I get an offer
Predicted Grades: A*A*A (Chemistry, History, Maths)
Achieved Grades: 8A*, 2A, 1B at GCSE, out school doesnt do AS.
Other Offers: York, Warwick, Edinburgh (waiting), Durham (waiting)
Good to see other people are still waiting to hear from edinburgh!
Original post by Phoebee1998

what was your offer for edinburgh?
Original post by thomashobbes
what was your offer for edinburgh?

Unconditional as I already have my grades 😊
applied for econ, my predicted grades were below the required so im not surprised i was rejected tbh, sorta applied just to see if i'd get in
Course: French and Russian
Predicted Grades: AAA in A Levels - French, Medieval History and Art
Achieved Grades: 2 A*s, 2 As, and 6 Bs at GCSEs
Other Offers: Sheffield, Bristol, Nottingham and Edinburgh (waiting)
Where are you from?: England but born and raised in South Africa
Course: Neuroscience
Predicted Grades: 8/10 on the Dutch VWO (idk what the A-level equivalent of that is, my friend who's predicted the same has gotten into Oxford so I think it's pretty good)
Achieved Grades: irrelevant
Other Offers: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen (offers), Dundee (still waiting)
Where are you from?: Netherlands (I think Scottish unis disfavour EU applicants because we don't pay tuition fees)
Reply 15
Course: Psychology BSc
Grades: 3 A Levels with A (predicted), have one A Level with A and my IELTS score is 7.5
Other Offers: Glasgow, Exeter, Bristol (offers) and Edinburgh (still waiting)
Where are you from? Cyprus (EU applicant)
ı only think my rejection had to do with my nationality my grades were over the typical offer and both my personal statement and referance was really great. St Andrews doesn't want EU applicants cause it's free for us.
Reply 16

There is limited space for home students and no one can deny that they choose Scottish applicants over EU applicants. There are a lot of scottish people who get offers with lower grades than EU applicants. It's a fact and everyone knows how it is harder for EUs to get in.
Course: Management
Predicted Grades: 44/45 in International
Bacculaureate (HL: Maths, Economics and English)
Achieved Grades: n/a
Other Offers: Edinburgh, Glasgow, LSE, UCL (offers)
Where are you from?: Poland
Course: Psychology
Predicted Grades: A*AA (Psychology, Economics and Maths)
Achieved Grades: AS: AABB, with a B in Maths, which I am retaking, and a B in Chemistry. IGCSE: 4A* 4A 1B
Other Offers: Bath, Durham, Glasgow, Newcastle
Where are you from? Romania
Original post by hysterria
Course: Neuroscience
Predicted Grades: 8/10 on the Dutch VWO (idk what the A-level equivalent of that is, my friend who's predicted the same has gotten into Oxford so I think it's pretty good)
Achieved Grades: irrelevant
Other Offers: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen (offers), Dundee (still waiting)
Where are you from?: Netherlands (I think Scottish unis disfavour EU applicants because we don't pay tuition fees)

I'm a Dutch citizen too, think that's why they rejected me

Quick Reply

Latest