The Student Room Group

UCAS regret, should i reapply next year?

Hi all,

After getting rejected from oxford for engineering i decided not to apply to imperial out of fear of rejection, but after seeing other in my class receieve offers from icl, I am beginning to regret my decision. I feel as though the unis ive applied to a good but i think i wouldve been have able to get into somewhere like ICL.

Also,I would like to keep the door open for IB which imperial would do, the other unis i applied to (bath leeds bristol) i dont think employers at IB target. I also applied to warwick which would also keep to IB but isnt as good for engineering as Bath.

So is the step up in quality of going to ICL worth taking a year out and reapplying next year? (bearing in mind there is a good chance i may be rejected)
Any advice would be much apprectiated.
Get the grades, do a work experience year and reapply. No point of settling for a uni and course u don’t want to do when u can achieve so much more
Only take a gap if you genuinely really want to go to ICL because if you choose one of the other unis, you will always ask yourself 'what if i had reapplied and got in'

In terms of IB, Warwick is your best bet but the other 3 unis you mentioned are semi-targets and will not disadvantage you. At the end of the day, if you can get internships and have good extra curricula activities, you're not going to be rejected based on going to one uni instead of another (seeing as all of them are good uni).

If you are determined to go to ICL, it'll be worth the gap to get to your dream uni, but all your other choices are still great!
Thank you for your replies,.
Its not like i don't want to go to the other universities, I quite like the look of them, but i am just wondering if the difference in the qualities of unis is worth the gap year
I know all a good unis, but if ICL was much better then i would consider reapplying , but if it was only slightly better then it would not be worth it. What i'm trying to figure out is how much better would the course at ICL be compared to the other unis.
See what grades you get and get feedback from Oxford (if you haven't already). A gap year would give another shot at Oxford too, but you really need your grades to know if it's possible for either.
Original post by RogerOxon
See what grades you get and get feedback from Oxford (if you haven't already). A gap year would give another shot at Oxford too, but you really need your grades to know if it's possible for either.

You're right. I guess I should only worry about a gap year if I actually get the grades lol.
Also, i actually received my feedback around 5mins ago. I was told that I was given an interview because of my strong app despite a low PAT score, they said i had a 'reasonable interview' , but the low PAT score paired up with an average interview wasn't enough.

Quick Reply

Latest