Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am currently an M.A. student in Toronto and I have applied for different law schools in the UK. So far, I got accepted to different law schools in the UK for their two years program, including;

Queen Mary University of London (Law Senior Status)
    University of Leicester (LLB Law, JD Pathway)
    University of Southampton (Law, Juris Doctor)
    University of Bristol (Law, MA)

Right now, I am waiting for University of Glasgow (Common Law, Graduate Entry) and University of Leeds (Law, Graduate Programme). I would love to move to a different country, and I am not sure whether I wanna come back to Canada with my law degree. So out of all these universities, which one do you guys recommend? Any comments would be appreciated Thank you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maneli)
    Hi guys, I am currently an M.A. student in Toronto and I have applied for different law schools in the UK. So far, I got accepted to different law schools in the UK for their two years program, including;

Queen Mary University of London (Law Senior Status)
    University of Leicester (LLB Law, JD Pathway)
    University of Southampton (Law, Juris Doctor)
    University of Bristol (Law, MA)

Right now, I am waiting for University of Glasgow (Common Law, Graduate Entry) and University of Leeds (Law, Graduate Programme). I would love to move to a different country, and I am not sure whether I wanna come back to Canada with my law degree. So out of all these universities, which one do you guys recommend? Any comments would be appreciated Thank you.
    Hello there,

I'm currently a first year Law student, originally from the UK but nevertheless learning the same degree you will. In the UK, in order to obtain a "qualifying" law degree, which will apply to all of those universities you've listed, you need to study 7 compulsory modules over the 3 years: Contract, Public, Legal Institutions, Land, Criminal, Equity and Tort. Obviously when you learn those in the UK, the bulk of it will be UK law, though I think Glasgow might throw in a bit of Scots law too. Your university will usually allow you to take extra modules to make up your third year once you've compelted the compulsory modules, and they may include a variety of topics which could be of interest if you want to move back to Canada after graduation, such as international law.

Overall, though I can't recommend which uni to go to out of that list as I don't go to any of them, I would suggest to not worry about moving back after graduation. A lot of the law you learn is compared and contrased to foreign law - I learn a lot of Canadian/USA/Australian cases because we have similar legal systems. A law degree is a law degree at the end of the day and I'm sure there'll always be courses for you in Canada to "brush up" on missing areas if you wish to practice there.

Good luck in your application and I hope you enjoy living and studying in the UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGBTvoice)
    Hello there,

I'm currently a first year Law student, originally from the UK but nevertheless learning the same degree you will. In the UK, in order to obtain a "qualifying" law degree, which will apply to all of those universities you've listed, you need to study 7 compulsory modules over the 3 years: Contract, Public, Legal Institutions, Land, Criminal, Equity and Tort. Obviously when you learn those in the UK, the bulk of it will be UK law, though I think Glasgow might throw in a bit of Scots law too. Your university will usually allow you to take extra modules to make up your third year once you've compelted the compulsory modules, and they may include a variety of topics which could be of interest if you want to move back to Canada after graduation, such as international law.

Overall, though I can't recommend which uni to go to out of that list as I don't go to any of them, I would suggest to not worry about moving back after graduation. A lot of the law you learn is compared and contrased to foreign law - I learn a lot of Canadian/USA/Australian cases because we have similar legal systems. A law degree is a law degree at the end of the day and I'm sure there'll always be courses for you in Canada to "brush up" on missing areas if you wish to practice there.

Good luck in your application and I hope you enjoy living and studying in the UK!
    Hello there thank you for your comments. Well the programs are only for two years, since I already have my bachelor degree (Political Science) from Canada. Does this mean that after the two years I cannot practice law in the UK? Also, out of all the universities I have mentioned, which one do you think is more reputable and well recognized in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I would say that QMUL and Bristol are the two most highly regarded there; I’m not sure which of the two is higher in the rankings for law, but I’m sure you would be very happy with both. QMUL is in London, so I’d vouch for that one personally! Do read up on the prospectus to ensure that you will be able to practice afterwards, but I think you’d be happy at all of the above choices. Bristol is a nice city, as is London.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that the Glasgow degree will be in Scottish Law.

And whilst you might like to stay on in the UK after your degree - that might not be possible.
    Have you actually checked you potential immigration status here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Just remember that the Glasgow degree will be in Scottish Law.

And whilst you might like to stay on in the UK after your degree - that might not be possible.
    Have you actually checked you potential immigration status here?
    https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/commonlaw/

The Glasglow degree is a QLD recognised by the SRA in England and Wales FYI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insecable)
    https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/commonlaw/

The Glasglow degree is a QLD recognised by the SRA in England and Wales FYI.
    BTW is a lot less smug than FYI, FYI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    BTW is a lot less smug than FYI, FYI.
    I'm not being smug, just making sure the OP is not misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    QMUL, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, and Southampton have better employment prospects. Southampton can give you a route back to US/Canada since it's Juris Doctor, similar thing with Leicester but it's not as prestigious. If you want to stay in the UK then all the rest are good.

At the end of the day, look at the graduate courses closely since they will all differ somehow. If you're happy with ending up at any on this shortlist, then do look at the campus and lifestyle as well as what support is available to you as an international student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaesis)
    QMUL, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, and Southampton have better employment prospects. Southampton can give you a route back to US/Canada since it's Juris Doctor, similar thing with Leicester but it's not as prestigious. If you want to stay in the UK then all the rest are good.

At the end of the day, look at the graduate courses closely since they will all differ somehow. If you're happy with ending up at any on this shortlist, then do look at the campus and lifestyle as well as what support is available to you as an international student.
    You are absolutely right. I do prefer attending a prestigious university, since I am not sure whether I wanna come back to Canada after graduating. I just have to double check whether the two year courses these universities are offering me will allow me to practice in the UK or not. Right now I'm deciding between Bristol and QM. I like QM because it is in London and I love the city, on the other hand, Bristol requires Lnat but because I already have my undergrad degree, I didn't have to take it. I feel like only the best law schools in the UK require that test. So i dunno which one is more prestigious with a better location and living conditions :?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maneli)
    Hello there thank you for your comments. Well the programs are only for two years, since I already have my bachelor degree (Political Science) from Canada. Does this mean that after the two years I cannot practice law in the UK? Also, out of all the universities I have mentioned, which one do you think is more reputable and well recognized in the UK?
    Hi, after the two years you certainly would be able to practice law in the UK I'm pretty sure. With regards to your choices, I didn't apply to any of them myself but I looked into Southampton and I have heard excellent things of Bristol in the league tables so those two would probably be my choices, but I don't want to influence your decision as I haven't been to either of them

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.