Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tattoo to cover self harm watch

Announcements

I have some scars on both forearms from previous issues with self harm. All the scars are completely healed now but are permanent. I understand that tattoo ink can sometimes not work as well on scars but the scars really bother me. I have been considering getting a tattoo to cover them up but I am hoping to work within human rights (although not entirely sure what yet). Do you think a tattoo will affect my chances of employment?

ReputationRep:
    I work and have found tattoos now are not a issue for jobs if tasteful..

ReputationRep:
    so many people have tattoos now i think in a few years time it won't even be an issue anymore - I'm in a similar position but want to cover up scars on my legs, I think you should do whatever would make you happier and more comfortable with your body x

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered laser surgery? I don't know if the NHS would cover it, but it's not that expensive. I had some sessions and the scars I had it done on are completely flat now and very barely visible: the improvement is substantial.

I also wanted a tattoo but my wife said no.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Have you considered laser surgery? I don't know if the NHS would cover it, but it's not that expensive. I had some sessions and the scars I had it done on are completely flat now and very barely visible: the improvement is substantial.

I also wanted a tattoo but my wife said no.
    I have a bit of a fear of surgery and hospitals in general (due to an incident when I was younger when a family member had surgery that went wrong) so I'm not sure that would be an issue but thanks for your suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a bit of a fear of surgery and hospitals in general (due to an incident when I was younger when a family member had surgery that went wrong) so I'm not sure that would be an issue but thanks for your suggestion
    By laser "surgery" I forgot the actual term for the procedure. You don't get put to sleep or even necessarily in a hospital - I got mine done at a dermatologist's office, basically they just use a laser to zap you (it hurts a bit) while you're still awake over and over and it makes the scars less visible and flatter. Doesn't even require numbing injections or anything.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.