Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have got to choose my gcse options in under 2 weeks and I’m really not sure which subjects will come in handy later on and which subjects are sort of pointless?

non of them really matter in the future. the specific subjects will only really come in handy on personal levels and most likely you'll forget what you learnt in the by college. if you have a specific course you want to take in college mabye pick them suited to that but honestly just pick ones you're going to enjoy!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Take what you enjoy and what you are good at. Also think about who teaches the subject because I took art and I hate it because of the teacher! I knew all the art teachers at my school were bad, and I had this specific art teacher before. I never thought I would get her but low and behold... she has destroyed all the interest I once had in the subject!!

As said previously, it’s best to choose what you will enjoy the most as you have to do these subjects for 2 years. If that still doesn’t help and and you can’t make up your mind about which four, I’d recommend choosing at least one language, one humanity, business/economics or IT etc. and maybe a creative if you enjoy any of these. This way, you’ve got a spread and varied skill-base but, even then, if you have four particular subjects you enjoy that don’t fit this then that will be more beneficial - this is usually a suggestion for those who enjoy a wide variety of subjects (or none at all😂).

Best of luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Whatever you enjoy
    Whatever you are good at

If the blocks let me I will pick triple science, computer science, French and design technology

I am alright at science (I was wayy better in year 8 - but hey)
    I am really interested in computer science outside of school
    I enjoy french at school
    I enjoy design technology

Lmao I think my best subject is maths but I'm not that good at it - especially compared to others in my class. I am in top set though :P
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.