Turn on thread page Beta

ZSL London Zoo Academy: Work Experience? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I have booked a place on the ZSL London Zoo Academy course for 2018. I am Year 12 and am working towards applying for Vet Med in October, I just wanted to know if the course would count as work exp?? The course is quite costly (£575)

I have included a link to the website if anyone wants to have a look:

https://www.zsl.org/zoo-academy-15-17-year-olds

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    snap! me too - I am applying this october too. And yes it counts as work experience and they write a reference for you too. what dates are you doing? And what other work experience have you done? And what universities are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    It may count or they may consider it similar to the VETSIM course Nottingham offer, a useful experience but due to its financial cost would be an unfair advantage to students that could not afford it. Would still look decent on your personal statement however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catlover0161)
    snap! me too - I am applying this october too. And yes it counts as work experience and they write a reference for you too. what dates are you doing? And what other work experience have you done? And what universities are you thinking of?
    Im doing 28th April - 30th June So far I've done 2 weeks small animal surgery, 1 week in an animal rescue centre and 4 weeks in a stables but I need to organise so much more. What about you? And I'm thinking about going RVC, Surrey and Nottingham
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    As VMD100 said; it is difficult for universities to consider these courses the same way as work experience placements due to the cost. These absolutely are not an experience open to everyone, due to the price.

It is also worth considering what you are paying for. At that price participants would be fully expecting a good experience as otherwise people would ask for their money back. You may therefore be shown the 'best' bits and allowed to skip the more boring aspects of the work and may not see the full picture.

I fully appreciate that there is cost involved in taking on students for these courses and actual work experience placements, for example for insurance and for the time of the zookeepers who train you. However it is clear at this price that the course exists to make a profit (which, for the record, I'm not explicitly against given how much effort ZSL put into conservation).

There are zoos out there that will take you on for a placement for free. Have a look at the BIAZA list on the resources thread.

ReputationRep:
    I did a vet summer school at one of the universities and was unable to count it as work experience. Only international students were able to count it. However, it doesn't mean that you can't write about it in your personal statement or talk about it at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannonKerryx)
    Im doing 28th April - 30th June So far I've done 2 weeks small animal surgery, 1 week in an animal rescue centre and 4 weeks in a stables but I need to organise so much more. What about you? And I'm thinking about going RVC, Surrey and Nottingham
    Ah I am doing the one in july. I have done volunteering in a cattery and stables and i week at a small animal practice and that is all so far I am worried I won't have enough it is really hard to find animal practices to do work experience at. I am also doing this zoo course and a week lambing which i hope will be fun. Same! I am thinking of Surrey, Nottingham, Bristol and RVC.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.