Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have heard quite a bit of bad comment about UCL chemical engineering course. But surely after so much criticism something should have changed. Apart from the intergrated engineering course thing what else has changed? Is there anyone studying the course right now be able to tell me what it is like to study in UCL for chemical engineering right now?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sha5815)
    Is there anyone studying the course right now be able to tell me what it is like to study in UCL for chemical engineering right now?
    Let's see... how's it going The Clockwork Apple ?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Let's see... how's it going The Clockwork Apple ?
    (Original post by Sha5815)
    Hi I have heard quite a bit of bad comment about UCL chemical engineering course. But surely after so much criticism something should have changed. Apart from the intergrated engineering course thing what else has changed? Is there anyone studying the course right now be able to tell me what it is like to study in UCL for chemical engineering right now?
    Finishing my third-year and the course is very very good - forget Unistats. I've made posts about it in the past. Busy finishing courseworks right now but I'll try to dig them up later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Finishing my third-year and the course is very very good - forget Unistats. I've made posts about it in the past. Busy finishing courseworks right now but I'll try to dig them up later!
    What exactly about the course has improved? I have heard it has improved a lot recently but how specifically?

ReputationRep:
    1. I graduated from UCL last year after I did 4 years of chemeng and trust me it's a uni that you do not want to go to unless you are well connected with people. After working my ass off doing coursework that is due in a few weeks before exams- I barely get time to study since I do a lot of coursework and when I mean a lot I mean a LOT. A lot of people that arent hardworking do not go through this process- they get sends off similar coursework from the year above or from other students and they collaborate and spend less time on cwk and work more for exams. This is if you are well connected and within the circle, if you are not you are in trouble my friend. You will have to work your ass off the entire degree whilst you see people chill and still get higher marks than you. If you are religious, good for you because societies in the years above will let you access to their work and hence you will end up doing less work. If you enter uni outside of this loop then you're in trouble. Other universities change their exams and courseworks greatly over the years but UCL does not and hence quite a large fraction of students end up doing dubious things. Furthermore, you do not get as much coursework in other universities and you are more likely to enjoy chemical engineering and learn a lot more without killing yourself over it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by hashhashdontknow)
    I graduated from UCL last year after I did 4 years of chemeng and trust me it's a uni that you do not want to go to unless you are well connected with people. After working my ass off doing coursework that is due in a few weeks before exams- I barely get time to study since I do a lot of coursework and when I mean a lot I mean a LOT. A lot of people that arent hardworking do not go through this process- they get sends off similar coursework from the year above or from other students and they collaborate and spend less time on cwk and work more for exams. This is if you are well connected and within the circle, if you are not you are in trouble my friend. You will have to work your ass off the entire degree whilst you see people chill and still get higher marks than you. If you are religious, good for you because societies in the years above will let you access to their work and hence you will end up doing less work. If you enter uni outside of this loop then you're in trouble. Other universities change their exams and courseworks greatly over the years but UCL does not and hence quite a large fraction of students end up doing dubious things. Furthermore, you do not get as much coursework in other universities and you are more likely to enjoy chemical engineering and learn a lot more without killing yourself over it.
    Interesting, although I think you would have started the course before they revamped it a couple of years ago.

PS. Please don't post the same thing across multiple threads

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.