moz4rt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://gyazo.com/511685f0a4f7e44488188d6121d3a115

I tried equating the weight of the uniform rod to the to the vertical component of the tension in the string as well as using moments about point P, what else should I try?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moz4rt)

I tried equating the weight of the uniform rod to the to the vertical component of the tension in the string as well as using moments about point P, what else should I try?
Moments about P would do it. Post working if it's not coming out.

Resolving vertically won't work, since you don't know the vertical reaction at P.
Faction Paradox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://gyazo.com/511685f0a4f7e44488188d6121d3a115

Moments about point P are going to be the way to go, as the is a force upwards at P, so equating the weight is not going to give you the actual vertical force at Q.
Nagromicous
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Faction Paradox)
Moments about point P are going to be the way to go, as the is a force upwards at P, so equating the weight is not going to give you the actual vertical force at Q.
Do you have the correct answer? I got that T = 2g, but I won't bother explaining if it's incorrect.
Edit: I also got that the natural length = 75/31 = 2.419m.
moz4rt
Rep:
?
I got the correct answer this time, but instead of using the distance from P to Q I used the distance from P to R, can someone explain why this worked?
moz4rt
Rep:
?
Nevermind haha, for some reason I was using the distance on the line PR rather than using the line PQ, thanks!
moz4rt
Rep:
?
Also, why is there a reaction force at the hinge, but not the fixed point?
Faction Paradox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nevermind haha, for some reason I was using the distance on the line PR rather than using the line PQ, thanks!
Haha yeah I do that kind of things loads in mechanics, quite often I don't read the questions fully and try and answer an entirely different question
Nagromicous
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got the correct answer this time, but instead of using the distance from P to Q I used the distance from P to R, can someone explain why this worked?
Was the answer I said correct?
moz4rt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nagromicous)
Was the answer I said correct?
No, it was 3g/2, what did you do?
Faction Paradox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also, why is there a reaction force at the hinge, but not the fixed point?
When you are considering moments about P, you are purely considering the forces on PQ, so in this consideration of moments it doesn't factor it.

But there is a reaction force at R, it has the same magnitude as the tension and acts in the opposite direction, as otherwise the system wouldn't be in equilibrium.
Nagromicous
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, it was 3g/2, what did you do?
I took moments about P but erroneously used the value for sin(a) when I meant to use the value for cos(a). I wrote down cos(a) but copied the wrong number. :/

5g x (3/2) x cos(a) = 3T
4.5g = 3T
T = 1.5g
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads