Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

3rd Year Medical Student @ Imperial College London: AMA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did one of these around UCAS application time and got a positive response as many found it useful. Hence I thought it might be worth doing another one since these threads get buried.

That being said, feel free to ask me any questions about university life in general, studying medicine and studying at Imperial/London or anything else that you are worried about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitshoot)
    I did one of these around UCAS application time and got a positive response as many found it useful. Hence I thought it might be worth doing another one since these threads get buried.

That being said, feel free to ask me any questions about university life in general, studying medicine and studying at Imperial/London or anything else that you are worried about!
    how do you find student life at imperial? I know that the non-medics definitely have a pretty geeky reputation, but are the medics still quite a sociable group? And how competitive is it once you're there?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember your interview? Any stories you want to share that made your application stand out to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheConfusedMedic)
    how do you find student life at imperial? I know that the non-medics definitely have a pretty geeky reputation, but are the medics still quite a sociable group? And how competitive is it once you're there?
    Imperial is quite a quiet uni due to the small student population (since it's only engineering and science courses). At times it can seem a bit dead;
    especially since it has a reputation as "one of the best universities in the world" so people often put a heavy focus on studying.

Comparatively medics have one of the least intense courses, this is mainly due to the fact that the course is stretched over double the years of a normal degree, coupled with the fact you get a guaranteed job after you graduate so performance is technically not that important.

I wouldn't say it's competitive once you get to studying there, but there is definitely an atmosphere of working hard and doing well. But with all these things you should focus on striving to do the best you can do, and not worrying about what others say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Do you remember your interview? Any stories you want to share that made your application stand out to you?
    I had 4 interviews; St. George's, King's, Bart's and Imperial obviously. All of which I remember relatively well, especially since I wrote a bit about them when I came home. Obviously I was quite nervous for them all, but since my Imperial interview was my last I was most relaxed for that one, and I think that played a key role in getting me the offer.

My application was surprisingly average, and my grades were definitely not top-end/stand-outish in any way. I feel like the best part of my application were my aptitude tests (BMAT/UKCAT) and especially my personal statement which I spent a lot of time crafting to get myself across as someone other than a robot who gets good grades, coupled with my attitude in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    What made you choose Imperial over the over universities that you got offers from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazychameleon)
    What made you choose Imperial over the over universities that you got offers from?
    So a little backstory; I was pretty much dead set on going to King's ever since the open day because I just liked the vibe of the uni. I focused really hard the UKCAT, and tbh I did little/no revision for the BMAT because I wasn't concerned with any other university.

I ended up getting an offer from both King's and Imperial, and then the decision was mine to pick my first. Even though I was dead set, I had a talk with my older brother (2 years older than me, studying medicine at Queen Mary's) and he convinced me that in long run Imperial would be better for me.

All in all I'm happy studying here, and have made really good friends. The facilities are top notch and there is a lot of opportunity to take hold of.

ReputationRep:

Hi there!
    I’m in year 12 and getting a bit stressed out about applying! In general how did you find the application process - do you have any tips?
    Also, what did you do in terms of work experience/volunteering/EC’s? What did you find most valuable when it came to your PS/interviews? Do you have any books that you would recommend reading? How did you revise for the UKCAT/BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Hi there!
    I’m in year 12 and getting a bit stressed out about applying! In general how did you find the application process - do you have any tips?
    Also, what did you do in terms of work experience/volunteering/EC’s? What did you find most valuable when it came to your PS/interviews? Do you have any books that you would recommend reading? How did you revise for the UKCAT/BMAT?
    That's quite a comprehensive list of questions, but I'll try my best to get through them. Firstly though, you're in year 12 so you have a looooong time left, and the most important thing right now is to focus on your exams this year; nothing else.

In general how did you find the application process - do you have any tips?
    The application process is very lengthy and tiresome and can really get you down especially since most other courses don't even have to worry about this stuff. That being said, because it has so many components it means you have loads of opportunities to make yourself shine. For example, my AS grades were ok but not top tier, but I managed to 4 interviews because I made sure my PS was really high quality. Similarly, people who have really good grades can fail at the interview stage, and people with mediocre grades can shine at the interview stage. Therefore try to make sure each part of your application is as strong as it can be to give yourself the best chance.

Also, what did you do in terms of work experience/volunteering/EC’s?
    I did work experience in the eye clinical at my local hospital, the urology ward at my local hospital, a local GP and a pharmacists. For volunteering I went to the rehabilitation unit at my local hospital every Saturday for a couple months. My extra-curriculars were a bit lackluster, but I spoke about being charities head at my 6th form, doing a research project as part of the Silver Crest and running the MedSoc.

What did you find most valuable when it came to your PS/interviews?
    Good structure and flow is important for a strong PS. I have done a lot of work helping students with their medical application and I always find people don't put emphasis on the right components of their PS. A simple and clear structure allows you to cover all bases and make yourself shine. In terms of interviews, honestly the best advice is try to be confident and get your personality across. Like I alluded to before, I know so many straight A* students who didn't get any offers because at the end of the day all they could do was study and were socially awkward, so when it came to their interview they really struggled to come across as anything other than a grades machine. The best way to get better at interviews is to practice as realistically as possible since there is no other way to get used to the experience and nerves.

Do you have any books that you would recommend reading?
    Not particularly. I didn't really read any books that weren't about interviews/UKCAT/BMAT/PS. My best advice would be read about something that interest you, that way if it is relevant to talk about in your interview you can discuss it with passion rather than just having read a book to seem smart. There may be books out there that are useful, I just didn't read any so take my answer with a pinch of salt.

How did you revise for the UKCAT/BMAT?
    UKCAT - It's all about practice. You just have to keep doing questions until you get an understanding for what the questions are like and what they're testing/the best way to tackle them. Timing is the biggest issue in this exam so emulate the conditions are realistically as possible to do well.
    BMAT - BMAT is mostly content you would've covered before (Maths/Science) so if you study well for your A-Levels you should be in a good place to revise for the content again.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask/DM me!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know much about the GEM course?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Do you know much about the GEM course?

I know a bit about it since some of my friends do the course. At Imperial you skip the intercolating year, so you go straight from 3rd year to 5th year, and jump up a cohort.

ReputationRep:
    I know a bit about it since some of my friends do the course. At Imperial you skip the intercolating year, so you go straight from 3rd year to 5th year, and jump up a cohort.
    Do you know if anything is likely to change regarding it actually becoming funded?

ReputationRep:
    That's quite a comprehensive list of questions, but I'll try my best to get through them. Firstly though, you're in year 12 so you have a looooong time left, and the most important thing right now is to focus on your exams this year; nothing else.

In general how did you find the application process - do you have any tips?
    The application process is very lengthy and tiresome and can really get you down especially since most other courses don't even have to worry about this stuff. That being said, because it has so many components it means you have loads of opportunities to make yourself shine. For example, my AS grades were ok but not top tier, but I managed to 4 interviews because I made sure my PS was really high quality. Similarly, people who have really good grades can fail at the interview stage, and people with mediocre grades can shine at the interview stage. Therefore try to make sure each part of your application is as strong as it can be to give yourself the best chance.

Also, what did you do in terms of work experience/volunteering/EC’s?
    I did work experience in the eye clinical at my local hospital, the urology ward at my local hospital, a local GP and a pharmacists. For volunteering I went to the rehabilitation unit at my local hospital every Saturday for a couple months. My extra-curriculars were a bit lackluster, but I spoke about being charities head at my 6th form, doing a research project as part of the Silver Crest and running the MedSoc.

What did you find most valuable when it came to your PS/interviews?
    Good structure and flow is important for a strong PS. I have done a lot of work helping students with their medical application and I always find people don't put emphasis on the right components of their PS. A simple and clear structure allows you to cover all bases and make yourself shine. In terms of interviews, honestly the best advice is try to be confident and get your personality across. Like I alluded to before, I know so many straight A* students who didn't get any offers because at the end of the day all they could do was study and were socially awkward, so when it came to their interview they really struggled to come across as anything other than a grades machine. The best way to get better at interviews is to practice as realistically as possible since there is no other way to get used to the experience and nerves.

Do you have any books that you would recommend reading?
    Not particularly. I didn't really read any books that weren't about interviews/UKCAT/BMAT/PS. My best advice would be read about something that interest you, that way if it is relevant to talk about in your interview you can discuss it with passion rather than just having read a book to seem smart. There may be books out there that are useful, I just didn't read any so take my answer with a pinch of salt.

How did you revise for the UKCAT/BMAT?
    UKCAT - It's all about practice. You just have to keep doing questions until you get an understanding for what the questions are like and what they're testing/the best way to tackle them. Timing is the biggest issue in this exam so emulate the conditions are realistically as possible to do well.
    BMAT - BMAT is mostly content you would've covered before (Maths/Science) so if you study well for your A-Levels you should be in a good place to revise for the content again.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask/DM me!
    Thank you so much! This is really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Do you know if anything is likely to change regarding it actually becoming funded?

I know they're campaigning to get it funded, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it as these things never change quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I know they're campaigning to get it funded, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it as these things never change quickly.
    Ah well, it's better than nothing. Thanks! 😊

ReputationRep:
    [bump]

ReputationRep:
    Any regrets" are you still enjoying medicine and would you do it again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User0101)
    Any regrets" are you still enjoying medicine and would you do it again?
    Medicine is unlike any other job in the world, and I am only beginning to realise that now.

At time I do feel burnt out and do wish for a small break, since our course is double the length of a normal degree, but I don't ever regret choosing to study it and woudln't change the opportunity for the world. I strongly agree that unless you truly want to do medicine you shouldn't even think about doing it for any other reason.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, is it okay if I ask what were your AS/A level subjects and what were your GCSE grades like? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How did you prepare for the interviews??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.