Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I have two offers to do medicine at St. George’s and Kings College London. I don’t know which to put as firm and which as insurance.

Throughout my application St. George’s has been above Kings for various reasons but I hadn’t really banked on getting an offer from Kings due to its reputation, how competitive it is and my stats. Now I have to make a decision between the two and I don’t know what to do.

So any current/past students at either or not even doing medicine, what do you think? What drew you to which one? Help!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Kings has the bigger campus and is better respected, but st georges is physically connected to its hospital. Its your choice really but you get your insurance choice if you miss your firm grades so its probably good to firm kings and insure georges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessAntonia:))
    So, I have two offers to do medicine at St. George’s and Kings College London. I don’t know which to put as firm and which as insurance.

Throughout my application St. George’s has been above Kings for various reasons but I hadn’t really banked on getting an offer from Kings due to its reputation, how competitive it is and my stats. Now I have to make a decision between the two and I don’t know what to do.

So any current/past students at either or not even doing medicine, what do you think? What drew you to which one? Help!
    Sorry if this is off topic, but what r ur stats ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion-tiger)
    Sorry if this is off topic, but what r ur stats ?
    Ummmm.

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 3B
    A level predictions: A*AA
    UKCAT: 710
    BMAT: 3.9, 4.0, 3.5A
    My main personal statement things were 5 months volunteering weekly in a care home, 2-3 volunteering tri-annually ish on a psychology programme, 18mnths with St John’s Ambulance, 1 week shadowing a Diabetes clinic and 1 week shadowing various anaesthetists.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:

If you prefer St George's to King's then you should firm St George's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR1999)
    If you prefer St George's to King's then you should firm St George's.
    My gut is telling me St. George’s at the moment but I’ve been to an offer holders day and spoken to so many students. Whereas with kings I just saw the key areas of the campus and spoke to one student so I’m not really sure I know enough about kings at this stage to make an unbiased decision!

ReputationRep:
    My gut is telling me St. George’s at the moment but I’ve been to an offer holders day and spoken to so many students. Whereas with kings I just saw the key areas of the campus and spoke to one student so I’m not really sure I know enough about kings at this stage to make an unbiased decision!
    You like St George's and have a feeling it's right for you. However, you don't know much about King's.

So suppose you go to St George's; chances are you'll like it. Maybe you would have liked King's better, but it wouldn't matter that much as you be enjoying your time at St George's

Now suppose you went to King's; it's possible that you might not like it. However, you already know that you like St George's. So it would end up that you go to a uni you don't like and reject one that you do.

So all in all, you're better off choosing St George's rather than King's as your firm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at King's. I absolutely love it and think it's really quite perfect for me but King's too has its faults and it's definitely not for everyone. (Happy to answer specific questions but won't write a 1000 word essay before hearing what you want to know .) What do you want from your medical school? What kind of things are you interested in and hope to spend time doing outside your studies? Is psych-related stuff one of these given that you mentioned psychology?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for the reputation etc. Go for the teaching style, the size of the campus, the location you'll be living in for 5/6 years. They are very different parts of London.

I'm going to be applying as a graduate and they are my top two choices, but I greatly lean towards SGUL. Although I have heard good things about KCL and know doctors that have studied there, SGUL has the campus size I want (I'm doing my undergrad at UCL - it's too big for me), it has the teaching style that would suit me, I love the surrounding area and how it's not central, and the fact that it's inside a hospital gets loads of extra points. I would love to spend 4 of the most important years of my life there.

As somebody who has already done almost 4 years at university already, I strongly suggest you consider these factors over reputation and whether your stats are too good or not.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm.

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 3B
    A level predictions: A*AA
    UKCAT: 710
    BMAT: 3.9, 4.0, 3.5A
    My main personal statement things were 5 months volunteering weekly in a care home, 2-3 volunteering tri-annually ish on a psychology programme, 18mnths with St John’s Ambulance, 1 week shadowing a Diabetes clinic and 1 week shadowing various anaesthetists.

Hope this helps!
    Wow. Well done. Can I PM u?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone! I think I’m going to go back to big and have a look around and get a feel for both unis again. It seems silly to not go for kings but I do love St. George’s🤔

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone! I think I’m going to go back to big and have a look around and get a feel for both unis again. It seems silly to not go for kings but I do love St. George’s🤔
    There's nothing silly about choosing the university that will suit you best.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.