Turn on thread page Beta

Feminist Hero Installed As Prime Minister Of Myanmar - Her First Major Act? Genocide watch

• Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Rakas is a colonial racist.
    Now now, throwing around words like that aren’t getting us anyway.

(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    I find it worrying how many people have convinced themselves that their "culturalism" is not dog-whistle racism.

After WWII, it seems that the entirety of Europe just took all their racist attitudes, replaced "race" with "culture", and then decided they had completely eradicated racism.

Obviously the reason you do this is that you don't think of yourself as a bad person, and you know that racism is bad, so therefore you conclude that you aren't racist, and seek to label all your beliefs as other things. Even neo-Nazis today do this kind of thing - they call themselves "race realists", and almost universally reject being called racists.
    Same with this... it’s almost like you guys are grasping at straws to call someone racist.

I don’t think anyone condones the actions of the government in Myanmar, given the expulsion of the Rohingya isn’t just. Rakas21 has some interesting thoughts, knowing full well the not so ideal nature of the current government there and the unwillingness for adaptations of ideology on both side... I can sort of understand his reasoning there.
    We can definitely have charities providing humanitarian aid to the Rohingya refugees but we certainly shouldn’t be interfering with the nature of the government there ( we have had too much interference for a lifetime methinks)
    Please keep things civil here
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Now now, throwing around words like that aren’t getting us anyway.
    I was stating a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm not racist at all, i'm culturalist.
    It's the same thing repackaged in an era where it is not acceptable to be openly racist in polite society.

ReputationRep:
    Worse is happening elsewhere in the world

Only difference is Muslims are playing victim cause they're the ones doing all the killing in places like Syria and Yemen
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I was stating a fact.
    In what way can you claim it as objective fact? Nothing he’s said here can you use definitively to guarantee that Rakas is racist.

ReputationRep:
    In what way can you claim it as objective fact? Nothing he’s said here can you use definitively to guarantee that Rakas is racist.
    I'm not writing an essay for you -___-
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not writing an essay for you -___-
    Oh please do... I’d love a nice essay to read and see the leaps in logic you take to describe him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    What difference does it make?

Whether something is right or wrong is independent on someone's country of origin, religion, nationality, etc. If you would think it wrong for genocide and forced displacement to happen to British people but not non-British people then you have a serious lack of empathy and general human decency.
    why do you care about Myanmar anyway - bet you don't even know where it is

ReputationRep:
    Oh please do... I’d love a nice essay to read and see the leaps in logic you take to describe him
    I thougth libertarians were supposed to hate borders.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I thougth libertarians were supposed to hate borders.
    Not all of us love unrestricted free movement and the negatives that are brought when you cannot easily check every person coming into the country. I’m all for free trade and free market but that’s not the say that total free movement worldwide is good for everyone economically

ReputationRep:
    her dad was this super corrupt wealthy landowner, who wasnt as popualr as the media imply

Not really. Race is defined and since my objection is to them being say Muslim rather than brown, I am by definition in opposition to their culture and not race.

In this case I suppose religionist is more appropriate.
    muslims are a race and a community. Sorry but words meanings adapt and change over time.

Just as there is no African race, but African American is a thing.

ReputationRep:
    So they don't let Trump into this country but they let a dictator like president who is doing nothing to stop a genocide in her own country into this country? Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    So they don't let Trump into this country but they let a dictator like president who is doing nothing to stop a genocide in her own country into this country? Interesting...
    In fairness she is hardly the worst offender we've greeted with open arms, probably one of the better ones on balance :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not racist at all, i'm culturalist.
    They're, for all intents and purposes, synonyms.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The RAR)
    We have given state visits to Vladimir Putin, Bashr Al-Assad the argument that we shouldn't let Donald Trump have a state visit is stupid and she wasn't showing any signs of becoming a ethnic-cleansing dictator then.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see the entire world brought to order but we must be realistic here and no, i don't much care about a small group of Burmese people who are part of a religion which represents the greatest threat to liberty since the fall of the Soviet union.

Your virtue signalling will accomplish nothing so long as you lack the resolve to end this conflict via military means. Until that time, concern about these people is a distraction.
    Yeah. After all, we didn't win the war by protesting the military.

ReputationRep:
    Rakas is a colonial racist.
    I think not. Where has he made any allusions to race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    They're, for all intents and purposes, synonyms.
    'Fraid not, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    her dad was this super corrupt wealthy landowner, who wasnt as popualr as the media imply

muslims are a race and a community. Sorry but words meanings adapt and change over time.

Just as there is no African race, but African American is a thing.
    Sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkilled)
    Sure.
    ok

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.