Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is freedom of speech really "freedom" of speech?

ReputationRep:
    im personally a freedom of speech absolutist. in the UK we have the illusion of free speech not true free speech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreggsOnLeggs)
    im personally a freedom of speech absolutist. in the UK we have the illusion of free speech not true free speech
    Free speech absolutist? So you should be able to threaten to kill someone, causing that person to live in constant anxiety, without consequence? Or you should be able to shout something like 'bomb' in a packed public area, causing mass panic and likely injuries and the emergency services attending, without consequence?

ReputationRep:
    If there is any restriction on free speech imposed by government, then what stops the government from imposing bans on speech that is dissent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreggsOnLeggs)
    yes, but there are limitations on it such as inciting harted and so on. words have consquences.. i think it is best to talk of highly particularised freedoms rather than highly general ones like " freedom of speech". this way you can articulate which particular liberties are valuable and ough to be socially protected. However i think opinions are part of "freedom" of speech so thereby that gives people a chance to challange haterd for example and even a way to educate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharonnnyarikii)
    yes, but there are limitations on it such as inciting harted and so on. words have consquences.. i think it is best to talk of highly particularised freedoms rather than highly general ones like " freedom of speech". this way you can articulate which particular liberties are valuable and ough to be socially protected. However i think opinions are part of "freedom" of speech so thereby that gives people a chance to challange haterd for example and even a way to educate them.
    the ONLY restriction that should exist on freedom of speech is calling for violence against any group or individual. hate speech shouldn't be a concept let people speak their mind. when you start to impose restrictions on passive speech you start to become an authoritarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharonnnyarikii)
    the ONLY restriction that should exist on freedom of speech is calling for violence against any group or individual. hate speech shouldn't be a concept let people speak their mind. when you start to impose restrictions on passive speech you start to become an authoritarian

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.