sharonnnyarikii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is freedom of speech really "freedom" of speech?
GreggsOnLeggs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
im personally a freedom of speech absolutist. in the UK we have the illusion of free speech not true free speech
Chief Snowflake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GreggsOnLeggs)
im personally a freedom of speech absolutist. in the UK we have the illusion of free speech not true free speech
Free speech absolutist? So you should be able to threaten to kill someone, causing that person to live in constant anxiety, without consequence? Or you should be able to shout something like 'bomb' in a packed public area, causing mass panic and likely injuries and the emergency services attending, without consequence?
MaccaWare
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If there is any restriction on free speech imposed by government, then what stops the government from imposing bans on speech that is dissent?
sharonnnyarikii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by GreggsOnLeggs)
yes, but there are limitations on it such as inciting harted and so on. words have consquences.. i think it is best to talk of highly particularised freedoms rather than highly general ones like " freedom of speech". this way you can articulate which particular liberties are valuable and ough to be socially protected. However i think opinions are part of "freedom" of speech so thereby that gives people a chance to challange haterd for example and even a way to educate them.
GreggsOnLeggs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sharonnnyarikii)
yes, but there are limitations on it such as inciting harted and so on. words have consquences.. i think it is best to talk of highly particularised freedoms rather than highly general ones like " freedom of speech". this way you can articulate which particular liberties are valuable and ough to be socially protected. However i think opinions are part of "freedom" of speech so thereby that gives people a chance to challange haterd for example and even a way to educate them.
the ONLY restriction that should exist on freedom of speech is calling for violence against any group or individual. hate speech shouldn't be a concept let people speak their mind. when you start to impose restrictions on passive speech you start to become an authoritarian
GreggsOnLeggs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sharonnnyarikii)
the ONLY restriction that should exist on freedom of speech is calling for violence against any group or individual. hate speech shouldn't be a concept let people speak their mind. when you start to impose restrictions on passive speech you start to become an authoritarian
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
16%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
32%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (19)
10.86%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.14%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.57%
I think it's an unfair expectation (45)
25.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.71%

Watched Threads