Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm struggling with my latin prose (Cicero and Virgil-the Aneid) does anyone have any advice or tips? Would appreciate it a lot!
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Which texts are you studying? I'm doing A level latin and have studied both writers, as well as doing the Aeneid at GCSE.

General tips: learn the english translations off by heart. That's the key for about 65% of the marks. Then, for the analysis questions, either learn analysis or look for basic things e.g. superlative/comparatives, repetition of words/phrases, metaphors/similes etc. In terms of making points and essays, PEA works a treat (point, evidence, analysis!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Martin!
    I'm doing:
    Extracts from Cicero - An Orator Defies Death - Ethics of a Salesman - Domestic Design - Domestic Discord - Concern for the Health of a Former Slave - An Author’s Lapse
    Virgil Aneid XII (Part one) -lines 697-703 Aeneas is keen to meet Turnus - lines 710-727 Aeneas and Turnus fight - lines 728-745 Turnus fails to beat Aeneas and flees - lines 746-765 - lines 766-790 Aeneas is helped by Venus and Turnus by his sister, Juturna.
    Did you learn the poem off by heart in english? What grade did you get in gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky_kelso)
    Thanks very much Martin!
    I'm doing:
    Extracts from Cicero - An Orator Defies Death - Ethics of a Salesman - Domestic Design - Domestic Discord - Concern for the Health of a Former Slave - An Author’s Lapse
    Virgil Aneid XII (Part one) -lines 697-703 Aeneas is keen to meet Turnus - lines 710-727 Aeneas and Turnus fight - lines 728-745 Turnus fails to beat Aeneas and flees - lines 746-765 - lines 766-790 Aeneas is helped by Venus and Turnus by his sister, Juturna.
    Did you learn the poem off by heart in english? What grade did you get in gcse?
    I'm afraid I haven't learned either of those texts.

Cicero often uses rhetorical devices, loads of emphatic positioning, juxtaposition and he says his points about a million times. Lots of anaphora, asyndeton and rhetorical questions as well as addressing the audience/judges. Probably some flattery in there for good measure. Possibly reductio ad absurdum.
    Virgil uses lots of emphatic positioning too, he changes his word order (hyperbaton) for emphasis of certain words and juxtapositions/chiasmus etc. Lots of talk about "furor" (madness) at the end - I read it in English as part of my studies. Notice Virgil's commentary on war and whether or not Aeneas' fury makes him a good guy.

Yes, I learned both my texts by heart. A* (98%).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That's great! you don't by any chance have a literal translation of the Aneid
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That's great! you don't by any chance have a literal translation of the Aneid
    No problem. Oh goodness, the whole thing? No, sorry! You might be able to acquire a translation from a copy of the ZigZag notes...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Thanks!
    Do your teachers not provide one? If not, might be worth asking them for one. If again not, perhaps ask for a copy of the ZigZag notes - they're fantastic, but require a (rather expensive) school license fee. They have a translation, some notes on translation and literary notes as well as context and exam tips. Would recommend! Also, one license covers the school for the two years, I think..?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.