Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confused about the Canadian requirements for Oxford entry and wondering if any Canadians have any experience with Oxford applications/requirements.

For grades, it says on their site that any high school diploma is acceptable and a minimum of 85% is needed. However, that seems really low to me, seeing as many Canadian schools ask for higher and they aren't nearly as prestigious as Oxford. It also seems low compared to their IB requirements which, from what I've read, are equivalent to about 96%.

Additionally, it came to my attention that AP classes may be necessary, as I saw someone say that AP is equivalent to UK A-levels. My school, however, does not offer any AP courses.

At the moment, I am a Grade 11 student with all my grades over 90%. But, with no AP courses and confusion over the whole 85% minimum thing, I have no idea if that is sufficient for Oxford, or any UK uni really.

Any help would be appreciated, it seems that the more I read into it, the more confused I get. Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tha973)
    I'm pretty confused about the Canadian requirements for Oxford entry and wondering if any Canadians have any experience with Oxford applications/requirements.

For grades, it says on their site that any high school diploma is acceptable and a minimum of 85% is needed. However, that seems really low to me, seeing as many Canadian schools ask for higher and they aren't nearly as prestigious as Oxford. It also seems low compared to their IB requirements which, from what I've read, are equivalent to about 96%.

Additionally, it came to my attention that AP classes may be necessary, as I saw someone say that AP is equivalent to UK A-levels. My school, however, does not offer any AP courses.

At the moment, I am a Grade 11 student with all my grades over 90%. But, with no AP courses and confusion over the whole 85% minimum thing, I have no idea if that is sufficient for Oxford, or any UK uni really.

Any help would be appreciated, it seems that the more I read into it, the more confused I get. Thank you!
    Unis here set their requirements based on what they think students need in order to cope. Prestige certainly isn't a factor in that. If you are confused about the requirements email and ask. I can't see where it says that AP classes are necessary. It just says that if you have additional qualifications such as AP classes then you have to declare them. There may be subject specific requirements though.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.