iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am thinking of going on a leave of absence but I am unsure of how this works. I am currently in second year second semester and have done badly on my exams due to mental health problems.

If I took a LOA would I return back again next year at the start of the second year again or would it be in the second semester or can I choose?

With student finance will I get funded again for the year (eg the full amount) or would I just get the installment from when I leave the course?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iodo345)
I am thinking of going on a leave of absence but I am unsure of how this works. I am currently in second year second semester and have done badly on my exams due to mental health problems.

If I took a LOA would I return back again next year at the start of the second year again or would it be in the second semester or can I choose?

With student finance will I get funded again for the year (eg the full amount) or would I just get the installment from when I leave the course?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi iodo345,

If your university advise us that you have suspended your studies, you will be reassesed up until the last day that you attended. If you have suspended your studies due to health reasons, we can award you up to 60 days extra funding.

In order to automatically award 60 days additional support a student must have suspended due to illness, their HEP must notify us of this in the suspension, the support will then be put in place.

Your payments would then stop and continue when the university confirm your resumption.

If you are looking to repeat the year from the beginning, then previous study this will be taken into consideration when assessing for future funding.

Every student is entitled to be funded for the duration of their course plus an additional year. The student can use this additional year of funding for any repeat study or after a suspension/withdrawal.

Thanks Rona
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi iodo345,

If your university advise us that you have suspended your studies, you will be reassesed up until the last day that you attended. If you have suspended your studies due to health reasons, we can award you up to 60 days extra funding.

In order to automatically award 60 days additional support a student must have suspended due to illness, their HEP must notify us of this in the suspension, the support will then be put in place.

Your payments would then stop and continue when the university confirm your resumption.

If you are looking to repeat the year from the beginning, then previous study this will be taken into consideration when assessing for future funding.

Every student is entitled to be funded for the duration of their course plus an additional year. The student can use this additional year of funding for any repeat study or after a suspension/withdrawal.

Thanks Rona
I think I will suspend due to health reasons. I have only been at university for the first year so know about the additional year.

Is it possible to start the year again from the first semester?
If so does that mean I will still get the full maximum maintenance loan of £8,200?

I am just worried about this as I don't want to ask family to help out financially when they are struggling themselves.

Otherwise I would just stay in university despite health problems etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise