The Student Room Group

rejection from uni :-(

Hi there,

Ugh. So I waited two months and got the dreaded email from my first choice uni saying unsuccessful!!

I’m not surprised really, my grades are passes but not the best and I’m in quite a strange position as I couldn’t put down my actual qualification on ucas so it looks worse then it is!

Sussex rejected me with no feedback! Or no offer for a foundation year, normally I wouldn’t be that bothered however I’ve already been rejected and referred to a completely different course at Brighton which by the looks of the way things are going i’ll Also get a rejection from there!

It would be more okay if I didn’t want to be in only Brighton, I have a place to live there in September already and the courses i applied for is perfect for me. It just sucks because although my previous grades aren’t the best (I haven’t been accessible to the most relevant courses) I know i’m good at filmmaking and in the most non-high ego way know that I deserve a chance on the course, I never work as hard on anything apart from my films and even with the worst equipment I do my best and wouldn’t say I’m the worst.

I’m just overall gutted, I have a house planned, boyfriend there and my dreams and if I can’t contact them for feedback, negotiation or I can’t apply for the foundation year i’ll be stuck taking a gap year and being two years behind everyone I’m living with (they’re all on foundation years now going into first year) and i’ll have to work full time to pay for living with them(which is already paid for) :-(

Tbh i’m Just feeling a little sorry for myself and worried about it. I don’t want to be stuck doing a course I’m not 100% about and that’ll be the case out of desperation if Sussex completely fails. Plus I don’t know how to deal with telling my boyfriend who is already there and is even considering changing into a different course and a different uni (it just feels a bit pushed down when you’re with someone who’s smart enough to have a choice and you’re stuck doing something you’re hearts not completely set on) and I know he won’t be that bothered but it’s just lowkey embarrassing to have the rejection there.
Original post by EmoMess
Hi there,

Ugh. So I waited two months and got the dreaded email from my first choice uni saying unsuccessful!!

I’m not surprised really, my grades are passes but not the best and I’m in quite a strange position as I couldn’t put down my actual qualification on ucas so it looks worse then it is!

Sussex rejected me with no feedback! Or no offer for a foundation year, normally I wouldn’t be that bothered however I’ve already been rejected and referred to a completely different course at Brighton which by the looks of the way things are going i’ll Also get a rejection from there!

It would be more okay if I didn’t want to be in only Brighton, I have a place to live there in September already and the courses i applied for is perfect for me. It just sucks because although my previous grades aren’t the best (I haven’t been accessible to the most relevant courses) I know i’m good at filmmaking and in the most non-high ego way know that I deserve a chance on the course, I never work as hard on anything apart from my films and even with the worst equipment I do my best and wouldn’t say I’m the worst.

I’m just overall gutted, I have a house planned, boyfriend there and my dreams and if I can’t contact them for feedback, negotiation or I can’t apply for the foundation year i’ll be stuck taking a gap year and being two years behind everyone I’m living with (they’re all on foundation years now going into first year) and i’ll have to work full time to pay for living with them(which is already paid for) :-(

Tbh i’m Just feeling a little sorry for myself and worried about it. I don’t want to be stuck doing a course I’m not 100% about and that’ll be the case out of desperation if Sussex completely fails. Plus I don’t know how to deal with telling my boyfriend who is already there and is even considering changing into a different course and a different uni (it just feels a bit pushed down when you’re with someone who’s smart enough to have a choice and you’re stuck doing something you’re hearts not completely set on) and I know he won’t be that bothered but it’s just lowkey embarrassing to have the rejection there.

Unis don't usually counteroffer when you apply for a specific course, I'd apply for foundation year courses to increase chances.
Original post by EmoMess
Hi there,

My advice would be to SERIOUSLY consider not going to university. This IS another option. To be honest, I believe you will be better off gaining work experience and taking an apprenticeship or starting off low down in a company than getting a degree from the likes of Sussex.

Please listen to me, someone who has literally just been through the university process and obtained a very good degree from a top 10 university, rather than say your parents. EXPERIENCE is more valuable than a Sussex degree and 3/4 years of your life. You will figure it out.
Reply 3
Original post by DavidJES
My advice would be to SERIOUSLY consider not going to university. This IS another option. To be honest, I believe you will be better off gaining work experience and taking an apprenticeship or starting off low down in a company than getting a degree from the likes of Sussex.

Please listen to me, someone who has literally just been through the university process and obtained a very good degree from a top 10 university, rather than say your parents. EXPERIENCE is more valuable than a Sussex degree and 3/4 years of your life. You will figure it out.

Tbh, it’s not just about the degree in regards to careers, I’ve always had it on my bucket list to have a uni experience and gain a degree- I’m aware I can do my job with work experience which I am already starting out. It’s more just the opportunity that I wish to have
Original post by EmoMess
Hi there,

Ugh.... it’s just lowkey embarrassing to have the rejection there.

The unwelcome truth is that this experience will build your resilience for whenever the next 5hit blow is dealt in your direction. Once you're through the initial disappointment, work out analytically what your remaining options are, and how you rate those options. Careers are long-haul scenarios. If you're truly passionate about your craft, you'll get there, one day, somehow.
Original post by EmoMess
Hi there,

Why did you apply without listing your current qualification?

Ask for feedback - it might well be that the lack of information about your current course is the problem.

Alternatively if you want to get into film then you might benefit from taking an art foundation diploma at the local fe college https://www.gbmc.ac.uk/brighton/study-at-the-met/courses/filmmaking-ual-diploma-level3

There’s also Brighton film school but they’re a bit shoddy based on the crap information on their website (and their pushy sales reps).
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Why did you apply without listing your current qualification?

Ask for feedback - it might well be that the lack of information about your current course is the problem.

Alternatively if you want to get into film then you might benefit from taking an art foundation diploma at the local fe college https://www.gbmc.ac.uk/brighton/study-at-the-met/courses/filmmaking-ual-diploma-level3

There’s also Brighton film school but they’re a bit shoddy based on the crap information on their website (and their pushy sales reps).

Yeah, I did put my current one however I wasn’t aware the stupid college i went to doesn’t have a well recognised qualification for the course, therefore i’d been told to just put ‘other uk qualification’ on my application.

I’ve contacted Sussex in hope to either ask about why and also find out if i’d be able to do a foundation year :-)
Unfortunately, doing another year/two years at college isn’t an option as i’d either need to be working full time or have my student loan to pay for moving out !

Thank you for your help though- much appreciated x
Original post by EmoMess
Hi there,

try in clearing x

Quick Reply

Latest