The Student Room Group

Do I look fat? *Photos*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by DianaJones
You're most welcome! Oh, I would love to have your stomach tbqh. It is not bad at all. I think most people are insecure about their stomach and struggle to lose fat and gain muscle in that area. Thighs are another one. It is fine when I am standing, but when I sit down, it looks worse. Yes, you know the struggle, but I guess it's better than being straight up fat/obese, anorexic, or super muscular. Fortunately with clothes on, my stomach looks flat and trim so it isn't too much much of an issue. I can't complain much considering I don't eat healthily and exercise, but I intend to and I could be much bigger. I guess I have my genetics and lack of appetite to thank for that. When did you start working out and following a high protein diet?

4 days ago !! 😂
Original post by winterscoming
No you don't look fat, but you obviously have some goals which you're struggling with - and like a lot of people, you've obviously tried making changes before which you haven't been able to stick with long-term, so maybe it's time to try something new and different?

Nobody can tell your body fat % just by looking at you - if you want an accurate measurement, find somebody (e.g. personal trainer) who owns a high-quality pair of callipers

Cardio is excellent for burning fat; resistance training is even better (as long as you're doing it properly at least), but the reality is that your abs are made in the kitchen. You can do all the exercise in the world, but you aren't going to burn an ounce of fat until you get yourself on a good, sustainable, healthy diet. (And not a "crash course" diet either - it has to be a long term lifestyle change because body fat takes a long time to drop - even if you optimise your lifestyle perfectly, you should expect it to take a few months before you really start to notice any visible changes).

The most important thing to do is to make sustainable changes which you can incorporate into your daily lifestyle - nobody knows your body like the way you do, so you're just going to have to try different things and see what works for you. It also depends upon why you struggle too - for a lot of people it's a matter of breaking habits, dealing with day-to-day stress, keeping focused on goals and motivations. Avoid falling into these traps: https://i.imgur.com/rxwEiSl.jpg
When you're trying to cut body fat, your main goal should be to reduce calories - and particularly to reduce your intake of carbs.
Have a look at this image, it might give you some "food" for thought... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/d6/a0/05d6a0c3d201df5a4826523ab88dcfa5.jpg

When it comes to different approaches for changing your eating habits, try something which you haven't tried before. Personally i find that my main enemy for fitness and fat burning are my blood sugar levels, so while I usually try to eat healthily all the time (I'm male so I usually aim for 2000 calories on a 'normal' day), intermittent fasting helps me a lot, I occasionally try doing "5:2" cycles, and sometimes (maybe once every couple of months) I'll do a full 24-hour fast as well - usually on a weekend when I can relax and occupy myself with other things that take my mind off food.

Fasting in itself isn't doing a huge amount of "fat burning", the reality is that losing fat is just a very long, slow process, but I personally find it almost impossible to burn fat and to sustain those losses when I'm not building some kind of fasting into my routine. I find it helps me enormously in being able to keep motivation, control what I eat, and keep my general mood in-check. (Fasting is a very effective way to purge the glycogen stored in your body, so I guess it's more of an "enabler" than anything else - your body will never burn fat until it has depleted this).

Aside from that, try to build more salad and vegetables into your daily diet. I like putting spinach with everything (dark, leafy greens are brilliant for giving you a mood boost and do a good job in suppressing appetite, cravings, etc - it's also the kind of thing which goes well with most meals). Try keeping a diary of the things you're eating and how many calories are in it. Don't neglect eating enough fats and oils to keep your body well nourished (eggs and fish in particular, but a handful of nuts or tablespoon of olive oil is great too).

Also, I agree with the other poster who mentioned sleep / late night eating - evenings and night times are the worst time of day to eat (especially carbs!), not just because your body is most efficient at fat burning while you're asleep, but also because eating before bed means you're more likely to end up having "restless sleep" which leads towards stress/anxiety, poorer eating choices, and generally lower moods. As part of my intermittent fasting, I usually don't eat anything at all after 6pm - remember that going to bed feeling slightly hungry isn't a bad thing, it's just a bit of a weird feeling that takes getting used to :smile:

Lastly, don't deprive yourself - remember that the most important thing is that you "feel good" about yourself - happy, confident, motivated - you need to find ways to stay positive otherwise you're far more likely to give up again - if you're constantly stressed about eating a plate of chips, a chocolate bar, etc, then that isn't great for your mood or esteem. Everything is good in moderation, even chips.

How long did it take to type that?
Original post by LoveLifeAndPie
How long did it take to type that?

I don't know, I type fairly quickly. I've never really thought about how long I take to type something to be honest.
I knew I'd be right eventually
Original post by shawn_o1
Honestly, get a personal trainer to help you out at the gym (if you can afford it :wink:). He or she will even suggest changes to your diet. You can still have chips, but don't have them at night (because that's when you're least likely to burn carbs)

Most personal trainers don't know their a***hole from their elbow, nothing they can tell you that we can't and OP doesn't have to pay us :wink:

There is absolutely no proof that carbs at night negatively impacts one's body composition or diets in any way. In fact, several studies prove otherwise.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28967343

Just track your caloric intake and you cant go far wrong, no need to mess around with timings and BS like that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mirror55
4 days ago !! 😂

It's a good start though. :smile: I am a carb whore and not a fan of most meats, so I don't think I can ever go on a high protein diet. 🤣
5’5 - female - 9 st 10lbs - 36/27.5/39 measurements. 26yrs old.

http://imgur.com/a/503l6

After losing and gaining the same 14lbs for 5 years I’m looking to start something new that I can maintain for life. I want to lose body fat (maybe 4%), lose 2 inches off waist and gain muscle. But every time I try it it feels like nothings happening and I get impatient and do cardio to lose weight.

Basically my question is, judging by the photos what is my bf% / how much do I weigh?

Hope this is the right place to post this! I’m not lookjng for attention just honest feedback as no one in real life will say anything bad to me and I need motivation to stop eating chips 😂

You don't look fat at all...you look like you are a healthy person who cares about their figure:smile:
No
Yea, you're definitely on the chubby side, get down to the gym yah fat dyke
Reply 69
I think your just perfect, not too fat and not skinny so don't do anything drastic to decrease your weight.
5’5 - female - 9 st 10lbs - 36/27.5/39 measurements. 26yrs old.

http://imgur.com/a/503l6

After losing and gaining the same 14lbs for 5 years I’m looking to start something new that I can maintain for life. I want to lose body fat (maybe 4%), lose 2 inches off waist and gain muscle. But every time I try it it feels like nothings happening and I get impatient and do cardio to lose weight.

Basically my question is, judging by the photos what is my bf% / how much do I weigh?

Hope this is the right place to post this! I’m not lookjng for attention just honest feedback as no one in real life will say anything bad to me and I need motivation to stop eating chips 😂

Let me sum it up, there's three things you can be:
Thin <- Feels good, I remember when I was this, felt lovely.
Thicc <- Probably the most attractive, feels okay.
Fat <- Undesirable, feels really bad and is hard to change.

It's debatable where the line between Thicc & Fat is, but you're definitely on the thicc side (that's good). You aren't skin and bones and you definitely aren't fat.

If you're not making progress in gaining muscle, see if you get enough protein in your diet. You don't need supplements. Eggs are cheap sources of protein, chicken are common and good however sometimes quite expensive sources of protein. You can get protein-rich bread loafs and rolls, protein-rich weetabix etc.

Another reason is because you're doing cardio. If you do want the muscle, the unfortunate yet absolutely golden rule is: No pain, no gain. Cardio is still great, start your workout with that. If available, try using rowing machines instead of cycling machines.

After starting a workout with cardio, move onto strength machines. This is just my opinion but the best thing to do would be to start training muscles above your legs till they feel like jelly, then keep going again until you physically can't do as much. Then keep going and do all you can till said muscles feel pretty dead. Then switch over to working muscles in your legs to let the others rest, go until those are jelly, then some more until you physically can't. Then switch back. Keep switching till both your legs and whatever above the waist muscles you're training feel buggered beyond believe. If you've felt the pain and powered through it, your muscles will start tearing. Giving the muscles 1-2 days to heal and they will heal to adapt to a new workload.

TL;DR:
Do cardio as a warm-up and then do intensive strength training, alternating between upper and lower body so give one half the of the body time to rest. The more pain, the more gain. If you're forcing your muscles to do a lot of work, they'll start adapting to that workload. Remember that intensive strength training requires 1-2 days to fully heal the muscle.
Reply 71
Definitely not fat. But at the same time, not lean. And fairly lacking in much muscle.
Not fat at all - would look great with a bit more muscle mass but I know that’s not to everyone’s taste so it’s really a matter of preference!!
You seem normal. it's normal weight.

Quick Reply

Latest