Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have Basically no qualifications - what is my best path watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so, i have always had problems with attending school which lead to me having problems getting qualifications as i was not allowed to sit the majority of exams for any of my courses in High School. I haven't officially left high school yet but I haven't attended from most of the year. As of right now I have two qualifications - (Scottish) National 5 English at B and National 5 Home Economics at B. I also have to Duke of Edinburgh Award at bronze and silver level. Right now I feel quite lost and not sure what to do. I can't get a job for lack of experience and qualifications and most colleges require at least 3 national 5 qualifications to enter. I just need some kind of guidance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    McDonald’s would probably take you for now. Try get into college to get more qualifications, then apply for uni if you want.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AndrewMartin)
    Okay so, i have always had problems with attending school which lead to me having problems getting qualifications as it was not allowed to sit the exam from any of my courses in High School. I haven't officially left high school yet but I haven't attended from most of the year. As of right now I have two qualifications - (Scottish) National 5 English at B and National 5 Home Economics at B. I also have to Duke of Edinburgh Award bronze and silver level. Right now I feel quite lost and not sure what to do I can't get a job for lack of experience and qualifications and most colleges require at least 3 national 5 qualifications to enter. I just need some kind of guidance.
    First of all, pinpoint what category of work interests you, research common entry standard for the particular field, then you can ask the question as to how you pursue the appropriate qualification as of now your question is too broad!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewMartin)
    Okay so, i have always had problems with attending school which lead to me having problems getting qualifications as i was not allowed to sit the majority of exams for any of my courses in High School. I haven't officially left high school yet but I haven't attended from most of the year. As of right now I have two qualifications - (Scottish) National 5 English at B and National 5 Home Economics at B. I also have to Duke of Edinburgh Award at bronze and silver level. Right now I feel quite lost and not sure what to do. I can't get a job for lack of experience and qualifications and most colleges require at least 3 national 5 qualifications to enter. I just need some kind of guidance.
    Do a coding bootcamp and/or become a web dev.

Very low barrier to entry. Little/no-cost. Lots of freelancing opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Get a part time job somewhere while doing a course like plumbing at college

ReputationRep:
    If you are struggling to find work, looking at volunteering is a good idea, as you can learn new skills and it can help you get work experience for job hunting. Alongside this, you need to figure out what you want to do - do some research based on your own interests (you might find this useful - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk). Identify what path you need to take and what qualifications you need. You could also contact local colleges to see if they would let you in - you mention you had problems attending school, was this due to extenuating circumstances? If your local college isn't an option, you could look at online study.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.