The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

The Keele Accommodation Thread

:yay:Here is a thread about Accommodation at Keele.:yay:

Will continue to update this and feel free to post questions below.:smile:

You can apply for accommodation via the Keele Accommodation Portal here.

Please have a read of the information here and here.

Information:

If you receive a message saying you cannot apply when you hit the link please wait 24 hours and then try again do not ring up at this stage. If you cannot access the application form the next day, contact Keele Accommodation on 01782 734152 or email: [email protected] it will take up to 3 working days after you receive the email to apply for accommodation before you can make your online application.

You can only Apply Online.

Submit your application as soon as possible - late applications may affect your priority for accommodation:

You can edit your application at any time up to the end of July if you change your mind about your room preferences. If you do make a change we will allocate according to your most recent application

Rooms are allocated randomly to those who apply by the deadline to ensure equality for everyone - not 1st come 1st served
University accommodation for undergraduates may also include accommodation off campus with a local accommodation provider and if this is the case you will be notified separately. If you are placed in off campus accommodation you will be given a free bus pass.

After submitting your application you will receive an email confirmation if you do not receive this within 24 hours please contact.

Offers will be sent to the email address you have put on your university application and then to your Keele email when this is activated. PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN AND THE ACCOMMODATION SERVICE MAKE NO APOLOGIES IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR OFFER. CHECK THE ACCOMMODATION PORTAL REGULARLY SO YOU DON'T MISS YOUR OFFER.

You should ensure that you or someone nominated on your behalf will be available if necessary to answer any accommodation queries between June and September.

When you have received your offer of accommodation you will be asked to pay a £450 advance payment (£150 is your refundable deposit and £300 towards your first instalment of fees)

Important Dates - these are rough and based on last year

Early February - Applications open for students starting a course in the following September; full details will be emailed to you when you are eligible to apply.

End of May - This is the closing date to apply if you are a UK student who has Keele as your Firm choice and you want to be in the first round of accommodation offers. (You can still apply after this date, it just means you won’t be in the first round of offers that we send out to new students).

End of June - This is the closing date to apply if you are an EU or International student who has Keele as your Firm choice and you want to be in the first round of accommodation offers. (You can still apply after this date, it just means you won’t be in the first round of offers that we send out to new students).

**Room offers will be made as follows:*

Unconditional applicants by end of July
Conditional Firm applicants by end of August/September (depending on when your place is confirmed)
Postgraduate applications - from June onwards
Conditional Firm Choice Applicants - A Level Results Day
Insurance and Clearing applicants - First Week of September
EVERYONE - mid September

PLEASE NOTE: THE UNIVERSITY ACCOMMODATION SERVICE DOESN'T ALWAYS KEEP TO THIS TIMELINE AND DOES NOT APOLOGISE FOR VARYING FROM IT.

Other Useful Links:

Map of Keele Campus showing the different types of Accommodation

Living at Keele Guide

For more advice from the Student Union regarding Accommodation see here.

Click here for information about:

Barnes (and New Barnes)
Horwood
Holly Cross & the Oaks
Lindsay
Off Campus Accommodation.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Barnes Hall

Barnes is one of the three halls closest to the centre of campus, and the nearest halls to Chancellor's building, one of the largest teaching buildings particularly for arts subjects. Within Barnes you can find Keele's Islamic centre, as well as Barnes bar. Barnes rooms are often "shared flats" meaning a group of usually 4 students will share a kitchen and bathroom.

At the other end of Barnes are the Medicine building (David Weatherall), the brand new management school, and other new buildings in that area, as well as the main entrance to campus. So a convenient place to be for medical or business students if it suits your preferences.

New Barnes

Built brand new and opened in 2017 the New Barnes halls are located in and around the existing buildings of Barnes Halls. These are some of the most expensive rooms on campus given that they're brand new and have lots of facilities provided with them. The Student Accommodation Office is now located in these new buildings too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Horwood

Located to the rear of the Student Union and near to Keele Hall, Horwood is one of the closest halls to main teaching buildings like Chancellor's etc. Also within Horwood is Keele's Medical Centre.

Most blocks are fairly old, and tend to be among the cheaper accommodation you can find on campus. It's quite rare to find an en-suite room here and it's a very large community of around 750 students (meaning there can be some noise in the night subject to activity where alochol may be consumed.):mmm:

The Keele Postgraduate Association (KPA) has their clubhouse in Horwood, which serves a good range of beer and plays good music (these opinions may be personal:ninja:) this is as the nearest place to get wasted as a Horwood resident.:redface:
(edited 4 years ago)
Holly Cross & the Oaks

Now the second most expensive accommodation on campus (after new Barnes). Holly Cross and the Oaks rooms are mostly en-suite rooms. A 10 minute walk from the centre of campus (or 5 minute sprint if you're late:wink:), these halls are fairly new. Large buildings with lots of rooms together.

Holly Cross is the largest building here, with 2 Oaks buildings (A & B):wink: as well.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Lindsay Hall

Another one incredibly close to teaching buildings. Particularly life sciences and physical sciences and psychology buildings.:wink:

Lindsay is often a popular halls since it's so close to the centre of campus and has comparatively newer rooms in Lindsay Court. There are other blocks too which are very close by. Lindsay hall has its own bar serving some nice food, and has some studio space which is used for music among other things. The halls are within reach of a farm, which may produce a smell depending on how near you are and which way the wind is blowing.:wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Off Campus Accommodation

https://www.keelestudentpad.co.uk/Home

This is the place to start ^^. This is a list of accommodation off-site that the accommodation service approves the landlords for.

Beyond cost, one of the most important things to consider is location. Off campus is where most second and third year students end up living. Common areas include Stoke, Newcastle (not the Jordie one) and Silverdale.

Silverdale is a 40 minute walk to Camus (it looks shorter on a map but it's pretty steep) and there isn't a direct bus route to campus from Silverdale (you'd have to go into Newcastle and back out).

Newcastle is where a lot of students end up and it's a small town/city to be in. As close to the bus station is preferable.

Stoke is a little further (though there's not exactly a gap between Newcastle and Stoke so the two blur quite well. Consider Stoke if you're driving.:yep:

Things to bear in mind are outlined in the Student accommodation forum, check out the advice there about moving in and things to look for and stuff about landlords.

In Keele's Student Union the ASK service run a contract checking system, as do Keele's Accommodation service.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Go to sleep MR!!!
Original post by HateOCR
Go to sleep MR!!!
:rofl: Was only on here while I finish my sandwich.:tongue: Got a few things to do first like some wrapping.:awesome:
Reply 8
Hey @04MR17,

I've been offered year 2 entry on a course at Keele. It'll be my 1st year at Keele, but I'll be on the 2nd year of the course.

I've been reading about how Keele offers accommodation, and on this page, it lists 4 categories for prioritising students for accommodation. What I'm wondering is, will I be classed as a "new undergraduate student" (since I'm new to Keele) and thus be placed in category 1, or will I be classed as a "current, returning undergraduate student" (since I'm a current student elsewhere entering a course in progress at Keele) and thus be placed in category 4? I want to stay on campus but I'm really worried that I'll be classed as a 2nd year student not a 1st year, and I know 2nd years typically live off campus.

I've sent an email to [email protected]. Not got a reply yet but hopefully will early in the week. Do you know anything about this?

Cheers!
Original post by giosanti
Hey @04MR17,

I've been offered year 2 entry on a course at Keele. It'll be my 1st year at Keele, but I'll be on the 2nd year of the course.

I've been reading about how Keele offers accommodation, and on this page, it lists 4 categories for prioritising students for accommodation. What I'm wondering is, will I be classed as a "new undergraduate student" (since I'm new to Keele) and thus be placed in category 1, or will I be classed as a "current, returning undergraduate student" (since I'm a current student elsewhere entering a course in progress at Keele) and thus be placed in category 4? I want to stay on campus but I'm really worried that I'll be classed as a 2nd year student not a 1st year, and I know 2nd years typically live off campus.

I've sent an email to [email protected]. Not got a reply yet but hopefully will early in the week. Do you know anything about this?

Cheers!
I honestly don't to be honest. You could be in either category really. If you want to live on campus then apply regardless. If they don't reply to your email then ring them up: it's always easier to get answers that way.
Original post by 04MR17
I honestly don't to be honest. You could be in either category really. If you want to live on campus then apply regardless. If they don't reply to your email then ring them up: it's always easier to get answers that way.

Here's an update for anyone who might have been in the same position as me:

I got an email reply last Monday. They said that since it's my fresher year, I'll be treated as a 1st year student. That's a relief.

My only concern now is the possibility of being placed off-campus at Liberty Court in Stoke. Any idea how likely is this? Is there anything I can do in my accommodation application to reduce the chances of this happening? One of the big selling points of Keele is that it's a proper campus uni, so this would be a big negative for me.
My only concern now is the possibility of being placed off-campus at Liberty Court in Stoke. Any idea how likely is this? Is there anything I can do in my accommodation application to reduce the chances of this happening? One of the big selling points of Keele is that it's a proper campus uni, so this would be a big negative for me.
Chances are low from what I gather, and I don't really think there's much you can do in your application to influence this.
Original post by 04MR17

:yay:Here is a thread about Accommodation at Keele.:yay:

Will continue to update this and feel free to post questions below.:smile:

You can apply for accommodation via the Keele Accommodation Portal here.

Please have a read of the information here and here.

Information:

If you receive a message saying you cannot apply when you hit the link please wait 24 hours and then try again do not ring up at this stage. If you cannot access the application form the next day, contact Keele Accommodation on 01782 734152 or email: [email protected] it will take up to 3 working days after you receive the email to apply for accommodation before you can make your online application.

You can only Apply Online.

Submit your application as soon as possible - late applications may affect your priority for accommodation:

You can edit your application at any time up to the end of July if you change your mind about your room preferences. If you do make a change we will allocate according to your most recent application

Rooms are allocated randomly to those who apply by the deadline to ensure equality for everyone - not 1st come 1st served
University accommodation for undergraduates may also include accommodation off campus with a local accommodation provider and if this is the case you will be notified separately. If you are placed in off campus accommodation you will be given a free bus pass.

After submitting your application you will receive an email confirmation if you do not receive this within 24 hours please contact.

Offers will be sent to the email address you have put on your university application and then to your Keele email when this is activated. PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN AND THE ACCOMMODATION SERVICE MAKE NO APOLOGIES IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR OFFER. CHECK THE ACCOMMODATION PORTAL REGULARLY SO YOU DON'T MISS YOUR OFFER.

You should ensure that you or someone nominated on your behalf will be available if necessary to answer any accommodation queries between June and September.

When you have received your offer of accommodation you will be asked to pay a £450 advance payment (£150 is your refundable deposit and £300 towards your first instalment of fees)

Important Dates - these are rough and based on last year

Early February - Applications open for students starting a course in the following September; full details will be emailed to you when you are eligible to apply.

End of May - This is the closing date to apply if you are a UK student who has Keele as your Firm choice and you want to be in the first round of accommodation offers. (You can still apply after this date, it just means you won’t be in the first round of offers that we send out to new students).

End of June - This is the closing date to apply if you are an EU or International student who has Keele as your Firm choice and you want to be in the first round of accommodation offers. (You can still apply after this date, it just means you won’t be in the first round of offers that we send out to new students).

**Room offers will be made as follows:*

Unconditional applicants by end of July
Conditional Firm applicants by end of August/September (depending on when your place is confirmed)
Postgraduate applications - from June onwards
Conditional Firm Choice Applicants - A Level Results Day
Insurance and Clearing applicants - First Week of September
EVERYONE - mid September

PLEASE NOTE: THE UNIVERSITY ACCOMMODATION SERVICE DOESN'T ALWAYS KEEP TO THIS TIMELINE AND DOES NOT APOLOGISE FOR VARYING FROM IT.

Other Useful Links:

Map of Keele Campus showing the different types of Accommodation

Living at Keele Guide

For more advice from the Student Union regarding Accommodation see here.

Click here for information about:

Barnes (and New Barnes)
Horwood
Holly Cross & the Oaks
Lindsay
Off Campus Accommodation.

Hi, if you dont mind me asking, what accomidation are you in and what are your thoughts on the different accomidations, do you wish you had chosen a different halll?
Original post by Dillpaat
Hi, if you dont mind me asking, what accomidation are you in and what are your thoughts on the different accomidations, do you wish you had chosen a different halll?
I'm currently in Holly Cross, I lived in Horwood for about 6 weeks at the start of the year, my first choice was Barnes.

My thoughts on the existing accommodation are that it's not wonderfully organised, and because living on campus is so convenient for lectures, they can charge so much due to the high demand.
Original post by 04MR17
I'm currently in Holly Cross, I lived in Horwood for about 6 weeks at the start of the year, my first choice was Barnes.

My thoughts on the existing accommodation are that it's not wonderfully organised, and because living on campus is so convenient for lectures, they can charge so much due to the high demand.

ah nice, why did you swap?
Original post by Dillpaat
ah nice, why did you swap?
Long story related to my disability.:smile:
@04MR17 I don't totally understand this part of the accommodation application:

There is a very limited amount of single sex accommodation in traditional blocks. Our premier flats and premier en-suite rooms are ALL mixed gender, since these have their own bathrooms. If you choose an en-suite option you may be sharing kitchens with BOTH genders.

Are you a vegetarian?

Do you follow a halal diet?

Would you like to live with Mature Students?

They all have checkboxes next to them. The last 3 are self-explanatory. But the first 1 isn't even a question. What is it asking? Do I check it if I do want single sex accommodation or if I don't?

Edit: Never mind, I understand now. You check the box to ask for a single sex area. Here's what the application says at the end if you leave it unticked [Single Sex Area: No]
(edited 5 years ago)
@04MR17 I don't totally understand this part of the accommodation application:

They all have checkboxes next to them. The last 3 are self-explanatory. But the first 1 isn't even a question. What is it asking? Do I check it if I do want single sex accommodation or if I don't?

Edit: Never mind, I understand now. You check the box to ask for a single sex area. Here's what the application says at the end if you leave it unticked [Single Sex Area: No]
:yy: :smile:
so when I am applying for accomodation, if I want an ensuite at Barnes Hall, what option do I select? It is Barnes Hall New Accommodation
Original post by Rebeccabex311
so when I am applying for accomodation, if I want an ensuite at Barnes Hall, what option do I select? It is Barnes Hall New Accommodation

Yep that's the one. The new Barnes towers only have Ensuite accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest