Turn on thread page Beta

Men charged 26% more for magazine in pay gap stunt watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    To say you claim to not be a SJW or liberal...thing is the career choice side does make up a major portion of it, other things included are hours worked etc. An earnings gap is not a pay gap, the former comes down to the individuals, the latter comes down to the employers.
    As I said, I hold some views that are more right and some that are more liberal. But I most certainly do not identify with the liberal movement anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    Well you say want equality you don't want women to have more right then men. If you really wanted equality you be getting young girls to do dangerous low paid jobs on building sites when there adults.

Men and women would get there pension at the same age
    If you want those things, campaign for them. Easy.

But again, do not try to diminish the work others by essentially saying "I think there are other more worthy causes".
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by yudothis)
    As I said, I hold some views that are more right and some that are more liberal. But I most certainly do not identify with the liberal movement anymore.
    And as explained before, saying you don't identify as something doesn't mean you aren't that thing. If a racist says they don't identify as a racist when calling for blacks to be lynched because they're black does that mean they aren't a racist?

ReputationRep:
    And as explained before, saying you don't identify as something doesn't mean you aren't that thing. If a racist says they don't identify as a racist when calling for blacks to be lynched because they're black does that mean they aren't a racist?
    But that is not the same thing. It's not an appropriate analogy.

I could also just as easily flip this around, "just because you identify/call/think of me as a liberal, doesn't mean I am".

You very much choose your political views and ultimately who you vote for. Hence you can very much say "I am not x" when it comes to politics. And yes you might say that I am simply wrong and get definitions wrong, but I dare you to find a definition for every political movement that is entirely appropriate for all followers of the movement.

ReputationRep:
    And as explained before
    You are too thick to ever understand, never mind explain anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just my opinion)
    The Tories on the other hand in a party steeped in patriarchy with not one single all female shortlist have managed to have two strong women chosen by all these right wing non politically correct members to lead the party.
    Labour on the other hand I still led by two old white men.
    One strong woman.

Thatcher started in a more sexist society decades ago and managed to rise to the top despite that. May was basically handed her job on a plate during that absolute farce of a leadership "election" (that never actually got to a vote among the party members) and has had a remarkably easy ride for most of her parliamentary career. She then spent the entire election campaign in a safe space hiding from opposing opinions and her staff even locked a bunch of journalists in a room to stop them covering a visit to a local business.

Do not try to equate May with Thatcher. They are simply not in the same league.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.🙂👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Maclean's magazine, a once respected magazine here in Canada, is charging men and women two different prices for their latest issue to "bring attention to the pay gap."

CBC News link

To avoid the obvious illegality of this, two versions of the magazine - one for men and the other for women - are being sold at different prices, with men and women technically having the option to purchase either. The unintended irony of course is that it would also be illegal to pay men and women differently for the same work.

Once again, the pay gap clearly needs explaining to some people. Maclean's has taken an average of men and women's earnings and assumed it to be an inequity. The gap halves in size after taking into account differences in work hours, and that's before even taking into account career choices, but apparently that doesn't matter.

I'm banging my head against the wall here.

Wouldn't buy either anyway. Rip off

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.