Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    would a medicine 3 day taster course at cambridge help me towards getting into med school
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous-112)
    would a medicine 3 day taster course at cambridge help me towards getting into med school
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    No
    why not?

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    Why would it?

Look at entry requirements and see what’s required. Because you have a taster day it’s not going to boost your application by much. You might have a sentence about it in your personal statement, but it isn’t anything major or important.

ReputationRep:
    its not exactly a taster tho its like a pre med 3 day course for 16 yr olds abd med school is competitive they look for extra and ambition and enthusiasm
    (Original post by S.G.)
    Why would it?

Look at entry requirements and see what’s required. Because you have a taster day it’s not going to boost your application by much. You might have a sentence about it in your personal statement, but it isn’t anything major or important.

ReputationRep:
    its not exactly a taster tho its like a pre med 3 day course for 16 yr olds abd med school is competitive they look for extra and ambition and enthusiasm
    You can do it if you want, but like I said it’s not going to make a major difference. I know medical school is competitive. It’s up to you at the end of the day.

Your UKCAT and other academics, and work experience are of far greater importance.

ReputationRep:
    The main things I've read and have been told med schools want are:
    1) Good grades - Minimum grades for that uni or greater, otherwise I don't think it's possible to get in. Most unis in the UK want AAAAB on average, some want AAAAA and others want AAABB (these are all minimums for Scottish highers.)

2) Work experience - get as much as you can and as much as possible, some work in a care home hospital work too is good.

2.5) Volunteering - ^ goes hand and hand with this tbh, get volunteering in places where you can help others, this helps show empathy and compassion which is something med schools like to see, it also gives you a decent insight onto what medicine is like.

3) Shadowing a GP, I think this is needed/really important, shadowing a GP can help you a lot, you learn all about medicine and can see the life of a doctor to see if medicine is right for you.

4) A genuine interest in medicine - no uni wants to accept someone to their course who isn't interested in the course as they're likely to drop out. Having a good interest also helps as it would imply that you know a reasonable amount about the course you're applying to.

5) good UKCAT/BMAT score, the type of admissions test depends on the university and the amount they judge you based on this score also varies.

6) Good knowledge of medicine - they ask you questions in the interview about current medicine related things as well as certain health problems (So I've heard.) So having this before an interview is very useful.

These are the main points, there may/will be more which people will probably add.

(Just to make sure, I'm not a med student or anything so don't take this as 100% truth, this is just what I could remember from the top of my head.)

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you get out of it and how you reflect on that in your personal statement and at interview. It's not a replacement for work experience though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.