Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On what basis do the universities in uk (particularly Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge) shortlist candidates?Do good Gre score and citations in Computer science increase your chances of admission?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by prtk1729)
    On what basis do the universities in uk (particularly Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge) shortlist candidates?Do good Gre score and citations in Computer science increase your chances of admission?
    Depending on the course, they would normally look at your personal statement (this is very important), undergraduate degree (or equivalent), A-Levels, work experience and other qualifications if necessary.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by prtk1729)
    Hey, at the University of Bath the requirements are to have a first or 2.1 degree (so high grades), or international equivalent. You also need to have studied maths at least until your final grade in school (e.g. A Level in maths), etc. Though it would seem that they mostly look at the personal statement as the requirements page (link here) suggests that if you can make a reasonable argument about why are suitable for the degree, you might be accepted with a lower grade as well.

I don't know particulars about other universities, but I assume entry requirements to be generally the same. In fact, it seems that for any Masters degree (computer science or otherwise) the general requirements are high grades (2.1 and above), etc. with the personal statement being the most important factor. I would check specifically for Cambridge (link here) and Oxford (link here) as they do sometimes tend to do things a bit differently. On first glance it seems that Cambridge have slightly higher expectations, but Oxford seems to be the same as the norm for top universities.

I would suggest emailing the admissions team in each of the universities you are interested in if you are unsure how your grades, etc. fit into the UK qualifications (if they are different).

Good luck!

Danny,
    MRes Psychology

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.