Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to drop out of my current medical university. i failed twice in second year, and don’t want to continue my education there. but my parents don’t agree with my idea. they are stuck in financial problems in the moment, and they want me to finish MBBS as fast as i can. but i have no interest in medicine. i just want to have a fresh start in another field where i’m enthusiastic about, and get a degree and a promising job. but my mom said she couldn’t cost more money and wouldn’t support me if i transfer school. in my country, there’s no part time job. you either work or study, and there’s no choice in it. my aim is to pursue a degree in another uni like psychology or philosophy while writing fictions online on the other hand. i have always wanted to be a novelist or a screenwriter since i was young. my life is filled with movies and books. but my mom said i should just drop out, and help in their business instead of changing uni. whenever she saw me reading books, or watching movies, she said i failed uni because i was staying like that all the time instead of focusing on my studies— which is partly right. she thinks reading and writing is useless. i have always been a golden child to them since kindergarten. i’ve always got first prize in every grade, and my parents might have expected so high from me. the thing is, i don’t want to be a doctor—who they want me to be. also, i have even diagnosed with endogenous depression last year, and had struggles in studying. i’ve tried to talk to my parents, but they don’t understand, esp, my mom. she just assumes i’m crazy to pursue a career in creative industry like screenwriter. she’s partly right because those careers don’t earn so much money in my country. my mom don’t have faith in me. she just believes i’ve changed in a bad way, and even if i transfer to another uni, i’ll continue to fail just like in my past. and i get my parents are mad and disappointed in me, because they care about me and i made countless mistakes and let them down, too. plus, we have a generation gap between my parents and me. i’m currently depressed, and want to end my life with no futures hold, and i’m scared. it’s like i’m living in a blur. i don’t know what to do with my life anymore. please, give me some advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry to hear what you are going through... life can be tough of course but it's important to keep your head up. Anything that you go through you can definitely grow through. I think it would be good to have serious sit down discussion with your parents about university and there's no shame in talking to the university and maybe taking some time out to reflect. I myself have struggled with depression, especially at university to the point where I too was close to dropping out.... as a working adult I still struggle with it.... totally understand when you say it is impacting your studies but I always felt that talking to people about your struggles helps. Also speak to personal tutor at university about it. They are there to support you through university life. I genuinely found the university staff very supportive and willing to help me wherever they could and it gave me some structure because when I was thinking of dropping out I actually knew what my options were, whether I stayed at uni or not. You could also look into doing an internal transfer at university ? If they have a psychology or philosophy department ?

Just remember that this is a small fraction of your life and there are many people in the world including myself who do not know what they are doing in life. You're honestly not alone.... I've met so many people from work in their 30's, 40's and even people from university and high school who I keep in touch with, who are starting over again and doing something new. Don't thinking of yourself as a failure... you clearly have a lot to be proud of. Getting to med school itself is a massive achievement. I think this experience can only help you learn and make you realise that maybe one day you might fall but be determined to pick yourself back up.

In terms of whether to carry on your degree or pursue a career in writing is ultimately down to you, both can be rewarding careers depending on the individual. You could continue at university and pursue writing as a hobby and the internet is a great tool to put your work out there for traction. Be positive and keep faith.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! your words gave me enough courage to face my future <3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.