The Student Room Group

Is Biology necessary for Medicine?

I thought that there were a few universities that did not require a biology a level for medicine, but they usually asked for at least an AS in biology. What is happening now, because most schools don't do AS? Does every university now ask for biology or do more of them not require biology at all?
Original post by computuring
I thought that there were a few universities that did not require a biology a level for medicine, but they usually asked for at least an AS in biology. What is happening now, because most schools don't do AS? Does every university now ask for biology or do more of them not require biology at all?

i don't think it is necessary

but my perspective is ... doing it without bio is silly
There are universities that do not require biology. It is likely to limit the universities you can apply to if you don't have biology though. As long as you're happy with that, then fine.

Realistically, biology A-level is going to stand you in good stead for medicine, as lots of the preclinical bioscience modules will use that knowledge. I know plenty of people who have done it without A-level biology, and they have managed, and it's perfectly possible, but if you still have the choice, it's worth seriously considering doing biology.
You might not need it to get an offer at a particular med school. However, remember that the people you are competing with will probably have A-Level Biology. Furthermore, if you get an offer, having A-Level Biology will make it easier to understand the theory (biomedical) part of a medical course.
Original post by computuring

No, it's not technically necessary, but practically necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending