Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You are riding a 450-kg horse at 14.1 km/h east along a desert road. You have inertia equal to 60.0 kg. A police officer driving past (whom you know and who knows your inertia and the horse's inertia) measures your speed relative to the police car and calculates total kinetic energy of you and your horse to be 16.32 kJ .
    What possible speed(s) could the police car have been driving at the instant the officer measured your speed?

So first I calculated velocity of (horse+man) relative to the car to be 8m/s.

Then in order to calculate the velocity of the car relative to the earth,

Vec= Vem+Vmc where e= earth c=car m=man
    = 47/12 - 8

giving -4.8 m/s. So I presume this means the man is traveling the opposite direction to the car?

But I'm not sure where to get the other possible speed.

Please help! Thank you in advance

Without looking at it any more closely, is it because the kinetic energy includes v² which means there are two possible values for v, the positive and negative?
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.