Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just did my GMAT and while i got 740 overall, my quant score was only 63%. i am hoping to improve this before i submit my MSc finance applications. the date ive picked for my re-take is the 27th of february, although i am aware that by this time application windows to quite a few universities may be closed. can i start an application, complete most of it, and then only submit it once ive done my test (GMAC will automatically forward my results to the relevant universities)?

i am hoping to apply to oxford, imperial, ucl, lse and warwick. the first 3 have clear deadlines but the latter 2 do not, so i am kind of apprehensive about whether i should just wing it and apply with my current score or fill in the applications now but only submit them until ive done the test at the end of this month.... any advice?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by takasar)
    Ir depends entirely on whether the University software allows you to do that, it will be case by case depending on how their admissions system works. However, they are perhaps the 5 most competitive universities for this course, waiting until March is a significant risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Ir depends entirely on whether the University software allows you to do that, it will be case by case depending on how their admissions system works. However, they are perhaps the 5 most competitive universities for this course, waiting until March is a significant risk.
    I'd imagine so. Yet, of those 5, only Warwick and LSE admit applicants on a rolling basis, the other 3 have fixed deadlines for late in March. Even so, would those 3 close the application period if places are rapidly filled or would they honour it and keep places open until the end of the deadline??
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by takasar)
    I'd imagine so. Yet, of those 5, only Warwick and LSE admit applicants on a rolling basis, the other 3 have fixed deadlines for late in March. Even so, would those 3 close the application period if places are rapidly filled or would they honour it and keep places open until the end of the deadline??
    So save/pause implies you want to fill in the first part of the form and then not fill in the second part until you have the grades back. Whether you can do this or not depends on the software/system each university is using.

There will probably be places left at the deadline, but that doesn't mean they don't have a pool of very strong applicants already gathered, so the stats can still be considerable to overcome. You will have to read the small print of each course and see if they say they reserve the right to close applications early.

All these places are highly competitive, they probably almost all operate in the same way - the make very few decisions early on, just the outstanding applications, then once the strength of the applicant pool that year is known (roughly now) they pick up the pace of making offers. Then some places have an absolute deadline, after which they tidy up all the remaining decisions, some just let it tail off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    So save/pause implies you want to fill in the first part of the form and then not fill in the second part until you have the grades back. Whether you can do this or not depends on the software/system each university is using.

There will probably be places left at the deadline, but that doesn't mean they don't have a pool of very strong applicants already gathered, so the stats can still be considerable to overcome. You will have to read the small print of each course and see if they say they reserve the right to close applications early.

All these places are highly competitive, they probably almost all operate in the same way - the make very few decisions early on, just the outstanding applications, then once the strength of the applicant pool that year is known (roughly now) they pick up the pace of making offers. Then some places have an absolute deadline, after which they tidy up all the remaining decisions, some just let it tail off.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to start applications now (answer the questions, fill in the personal statement, attach my CV, etc) and then, if possible, submit them the day after my GMAT, right at the end of this month. That's pretty much my best option now. I could of course change my sights to accounting or management rather than finance but....

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.