The Student Room Group

Feeling really low about uni rejection

Post Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 99AB99
Hi,

I found out yesterday that I have been rejected by Durham for History. A few weeks ago I was also rejected post-interview at Oxford (but according to feedback, came really close to an offer). I really don't understand why I got rejected from Durham (not being arrogant), especially since I know people who have offers with worse grades, lower predictions, less extra curricular etc. My stats are as follows:
GCSE : A*s with a few As
Predictions: A*A*A* (which I achieved in recent mocks so not unattainable), A* in EPQ
PS: Mix of history stuff (reading, volunteering, summer schools etc, research projects, which I reflected on), relevant and unique work experience, volunteering (in school and community), student leadership, journalism , debating etc.
I am really at a loss about what to do now, and really feel like giving up altogether. My next choice is Bristol , but it is really disheartening to do all of this work and not get into my first two choices.
Can anyone think of a reason as to why I might have been rejected? I really don't know what to do ...
Durham suggested I apply through their referrals scheme (not really sure what this is) to History and Education, but I am not sure.

How about a gap year, reapplying with 3 shiny A* grades in your pocket?

The referral scheme sounds like a way for them to fill up unpopular courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above - if you are determined to go to Durham, then check their policy on retakes and reapply next year.
Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
Reply 3
Concentrate on getting your grades. Remember you don't have to rush into going to a University or doing a course you are not sure of. If you have your heart set on Oxford or Durham for those particular courses you could always reapply next year? Ask for feedback at Durham too. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
How about a gap year, reapplying with 3 shiny A* grades in your pocket?

The referral scheme sounds like a way for them to fill up unpopular courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been thinking about a gap year, but I am really unsure about what I would be able to do, especially since it is a path I never imagined myself taking. I would only be able to work in the local shop for a year as I don't have the money to go travelling or do anything exciting, and I think I would really struggle knowing that all of my friends are at university and I am not, especially after putting all of the work in. I also fear that I will just get rejected again next year, and then risk not getting offers from Bristol, Leeds and York again. :frown::frown::frown:
Work in the shop until Easter next year - save some ££ - and then go travelling.
This is what most gappies do.
Original post by 99AB99
I have been thinking about a gap year, but I am really unsure about what I would be able to do, especially since it is a path I never imagined myself taking. I would only be able to work in the local shop for a year as I don't have the money to go travelling or do anything exciting, and I think I would really struggle knowing that all of my friends are at university and I am not, especially after putting all of the work in. I also fear that I will just get rejected again next year, and then risk not getting offers from Bristol, Leeds and York again. :frown::frown::frown:

If you want to have another crack at Oxford and Durham then it's your only choice. Don't worry about all your friends being at university, that's irrelevant. Life is a long game, it's not over by the time you're 21!

First ask Durham for feedback. then nail your A-levels to prove your ability. As suggested above, get a mundane job after your exams and save your money. Work towards your Oxford application to keep your mind active. Once you know your Oxford fate in early January head off somewhere interesting - it will broaden your outlook and make your old schoolfriends jealous!

If you achieve your predictions there is effectively zero chance that Bristol, Leeds and York will reject you next time. I think @returnmigrant can confirm that universities don't bear grudges - even if they remember that you applied there previously. As my former History personal tutor at York (and later professor at Bristol) once told me - they simply want the best students they can get.
I would recommend firming Bristol for now, and then focus on your exams. Once you've got your final grades, you can then decide whether or not to take a year out and reapply. If you do achieve good grades, don't be afraid to reapply, reapplications can definitely be succesful, and it will be worth it in the end. You can use your gap year to further strengthen your application and to earn some money, you don't have to go travelling if you don't want to.
Original post by Tian1Sky
I would recommend firming Bristol for now, and then focus on your exams. Once you've got your final grades, you can then decide whether or not to take a year out and reapply.

This.

Take the long view - Firm one of your offers (it gives you time to think, and you may decide that you do actually want to go there anyway), then work like crazy for the best A level grades you can get.

In August make the big decision - go to your Firm Uni or reapply. Yes, there is no guarantee that any of your current offer Unis would make you another offer next year but its highly likely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending