The Student Room Group

SORN'D my car, parked it outside my house?

I SORN'd my car and took off the insurance as my car is broken and I am awaiting a decision regarding my claim under the consumer protection act with my bank(It's been 2 months, it could take potentially another month or at most 2 before this concludes and I get rid of the car)

So I live in a masonett type flat, it's a somewhat secluded corner where only the people who live in the flats park. My car is parked literally right in front of my front garden on the road. Is this considered a drive way or is it still technically public road?

I park my replacement car outside as not to piss off the other neighbours so they don't realise my car is SORN'd and try and report it. I literally just need a month or at most two until my case with my bank is concluded then I will get rid of it.
Reply 1
Original post by Jedders
I SORN'd my car and took off the insurance as my car is broken and I am awaiting a decision regarding my claim under the consumer protection act with my bank(It's been 2 months, it could take potentially another month or at most 2 before this concludes and I get rid of the car)

So I live in a masonett type flat, it's a somewhat secluded corner where only the people who live in the flats park. My car is parked literally right in front of my front garden on the road. Is this considered a drive way or is it still technically public road?

I park my replacement car outside as not to piss off the other neighbours so they don't realise my car is SORN'd and try and report it. I literally just need a month or at most two until my case with my bank is concluded then I will get rid of it.

If it's on the public road, doesn't that answer your own question?
Original post by Jedders

There are steep financial risks. Can you not somehow borrow the money to tax the vehicle for 6 months or pay monthly in 10 instalments? If it's a small vehicle, the direct debit option could cost as little as say £15 or so per month. (£0.50p per day)

You are running a risk on two counts:

1) keeping an untaxed vehicle on a public highway with a SORN declaration. Penalty: 2 x vehicle road tax + £30. (£260)

2) being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle kept on a public highway. Penalty: First instance is a fixed penalty notice of £100.

Once the local Council knows about your vehicle, they can instruct contractors to apply a wheel clamp which then incur mandatory fees of:
£100 release fee if paid within 24 hours
£200 impound release fee if the vehicle is removed to a pound
£21 per day storage
£160 surety fee if the vehicle does not have a valid tax registered on the national database.

If the vehicle is not claimed within 7 to 14 days, it may be summarily disposed of by auction, breaking or crushing.

By my calculation that means you could end up with fines starting around £300 for a first offence and, if wheel clamped or impounded, that could rise to £400 plus road tax cost at minimum and perhaps £750 plus road tax, if you release the vehicle after say 7 to 10 days.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/403029/Vehicle_Enforcement_Policy_Table_1__revised_.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
it is not off the road :emo:

:auto:
Original post by Keith-01
A car park belonging to other residents is still classed as a public road and you will be prosecuted unless you keep it very quiet and don’t have many busybodies around your area such as housing officers or police can see it or grassing neighbours.. Good Luck

Welcome to the boards Keith. Don't forget to check post dates before replying. Don't worry though, it is easily done!

Latest