Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's half term now but for weeks I've been stressing about one of my A Levels. I'm taking combined English language and literature but I hugely regret not taking English Literature.
    My reasons are that I really want to do English at university but this course simply doesn't go into enough depth in some of the classical poets and authors. I don't feel stretched and I can't say I can tell what progress I've made since GCSE as actually some parts of GCSE English were harder than this! However I love my class and teacher so that's what has made me delay thinking seriously about this.

My personal tutor knows I regret my decision and she said to do an EPQ to support my application to uni but to be honest I still just really want to switch. She said if I were to switch I might end up with a low grade in Literature instead of a high grade in Lang/Lit but my mum says she'd get me a private tutor to help with work missed and I'm really passionate about the subject - I'm not doing this lightly. I got two 9s at GCSE and I really miss the challenge of Shakespeare, war poets, Victorian authors etc..

I'm anxious as I feel like when we go back to college the Lit classes might be doing their coursework/starting it and it's all a big mess.
    But I'm worrying so much its affecting my concentration in my other classes, college, and at home.
    I guess what I'm saying is - what do I do? Should I persist with my tutor or not?

(worth mentioning some universities don't accept lang/lit for their courses and/or say that if my school offered Literature, it was advisable to have taken that instead so I've limited myself a little. I could continue with lang/lit but I'm really stressing about this)

Any help would be appreciated. Or if anyone has gone through something similar / is doing lang/lit let me know what you think of it. I don't dislike it but I do think my college should have warned about this instead of letting me do it.

ReputationRep:
    please i'm stressing so much, and I can't get in contact with any teachers until after half term. I'm so stressed about this.

ReputationRep:
    please?

ReputationRep:
    It should not be an issue. Speak to the head of your English department and make sure you choose a selection of a few universities you want to go to so that you know for a fact if it DIRECTLY limits you. I am currently doing Eng Lit only and I can tell you for a fact that it's not looking very interesting in terms of poetry. Hamlet is also excruciatingly long so you're not missing out on too much.
    You don't have time to worry because you have UCAS exams coming up; focus on those rather than the smaller things. I know a lot of people who take both and they seem to have no issues with unis.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to do Literature, I say do it. You are months behind now, but that's obvious and it's not stopping you from switching a-Levels. If it is a possibility, and you think you could catch up (which given the fact you got 2 9s you surely would!), I say go for it. It'll impact your future positively if it means you have a bigger chance at University application. Your mum offered a tutor which would definitely help you even more. Don't sit around stuck in a class you like but dislike the content.

Best of luck! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taliakx)
    If you really want to do Literature, I say do it. You are months behind now, but that's obvious and it's not stopping you from switching a-Levels. If it is a possibility, and you think you could catch up (which given the fact you got 2 9s you surely would!), I say go for it. It'll impact your future positively if it means you have a bigger chance at University application. Your mum offered a tutor which would definitely help you even more. Don't sit around stuck in a class you like but dislike the content.

Best of luck! :-)

Thank you! It's where my mind is at. My only worry too is if I don't like the Literature class or if I am right and they've already started coursework ;/
    I go to a massive sixth form college so I wouldn't be able to know who exactly is in the class, but I know it's only temporary and I should think more about the A Level than the people in the class.
    Thanks for your reply!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.